PDA

View Full Version : knocking, clacking, tapping noise...HELP!!

sr20zenki
07-27-2009, 01:12 PM
ok well i have a huge problem, not to sure what it is, i hope its not as big as i think but heres what happend.

i finished putting together my new topmount turbo an 550 injectors. i setout to go get it tuned on the dyno. i have an afc neo, which i know is not the best to tune on but i heard that it can be done.

so i got to the dyno. we did the base run an it made 309, we made another run an made 260, then 250. we noticed it was breaking up at high rpms so we decided to get new plugs. so we start it up an its started knocking, well like making a clacking sound from the head, real loud at idle. we shut it off an thats it towed it home.

i havent pulled the valve cover off yet. but i wanna see if anyone know what it might be.
i hear the the vct sprocket goes bad an they end up make noise like a knock. can that be it?

w.e it is i just hope nothing went dont onto the piston. :mad:

rc1honda
07-27-2009, 01:26 PM
Sounds like you spun a bearing. You lost power on your last 2 runs. Time for a rebuild. i don't know anything in the head that can be mistaken for rod knock when it breaks. Lifters and lost rocker arms dont really knock as much as a loud annoying tapping.

sr20zenki
07-27-2009, 01:53 PM
yeah to me it sounds like a loud tapping kinda clicking sound. and the sound seems to come from the top mostly.

Homer_Simpson
07-27-2009, 01:55 PM
I hope it doesn't sound like this
YouTube - Failed motor swap (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0DpX9aV7IRg&feature=related)
It is possible that you just have air in your lifters.

sr20zenki
07-27-2009, 06:30 PM
how would u get ait in the lifters, is that possible even if u havent opened up the engine, sorry not familiar with that.