PDA

View Full Version : S13 sunroof mayhem!

twitchy
04-19-2003, 10:33 AM
Damn manual sunroof! I love the sunroof but its noisy as hell and loose over bumps when its open, it howls over 55 mph when its closed and its a hassle to remove (and its never really warm enough up here for that)

any hints or ideas to silence it?

Fireball240SX
04-19-2003, 10:35 AM
U can use one of those ricerish? sunroof ventshades :rolleyes:

mrmephistopheles
04-19-2003, 10:37 AM
I have four ideas:

1.) Use search function
2.) Look in Zilvia.net and 240sx.org FAQ sections
3.) Bust out the www.google.com
4.) Next time, post technical topics in the tech talk section.

If you don't find any help there, the world has ended, because it's out there.
If all that fails however, just let us know you tried to search, and we'll see what we can do.

-Kevin

twitchy
04-19-2003, 11:38 AM
1.) Use search function
2.) Look in Zilvia.net and 240sx.org FAQ sections
3.) Bust out the www.google.com
4.) Next time, post technical topics in the tech talk section.

OK Thats a big ten four thanks.

transient
04-19-2003, 12:56 PM
The only discussions i've ever seen on here about sunroofs is saying that aftermarket's suck. Has that changed?

Cheng
04-19-2003, 03:32 PM
if you really hate the noises, i've seen a car around here silcon his on sunroof which i think is kinda dumb, but i don't mind the noise at all.

ca18guy
04-19-2003, 03:44 PM
Originally posted by transient
The only discussions i've ever seen on here about sunroofs is saying that aftermarket's suck. Has that changed?

Yeah I don't remember many sunroof noise threads, so break out any answers you got fella's :cool:

Cheng
04-19-2003, 03:48 PM
some people are just ignorant. If you think the question is stupid, why are you reading it in the first place. Also if you think its so ridculoucs why are you even bother answering the questions. If you can't think a answer, simply it means you don't know about our 240sx

AmherstSR20DET
04-19-2003, 04:05 PM
Get a front strut tower bar. That will help with the squeeking that the sunroof makes (open or closed). Aside from that, I just got use to the wind noise.

What year 240 do you have? I've heard that in the older models, if you can replace the weather stripping around the sunroof, it will help a little, but it won't cut the noise out entirely. Try the vent shade, it may not look too good, but if it works... function over form I say.

misnomer
04-19-2003, 05:45 PM
Mine makes noise as well.

Couple things to try:

-Replace the rubber around the piece of glass (I have no idea who, what, where, and how on this one).

-Prop something under the clamp, will hold the lid down a bit tighter and greatly reduce noice (this is what I did).

mrmephistopheles
04-19-2003, 06:16 PM
Originally posted by Cheng
some people are just ignorant.

I almost hope you're referring to me. I searched Zilvia for info on sunroof wind noise, and found only a few topics on it, mostly people complaining and none offering any solutions.

Then I checked 240sx.org and found this:
http://www.240sx.org/faq/articles/sunroof_whistling.htm

Checking google I found these:
http://www.alldata.com/TSB/41/91411337.html
A page listing TSBs, one being for sunroof noise.
http://www.240sx.org/faq/articles/crackling_sunroof.htm
Another FAQ at 240sx.org that I'd missed, also covering sunroof noise.

You see, I'm not ignorant. I'm have been around long enough to know the common **** that occurs with our cars, and know that somewhere, someone has covered how to fix it. I have read these FAQs because my wife's 89 coupe has a sunroof. We've experienced no noise, but I wanted to be prepared.

Now who's ignorant?
-Kevin
240sx crackfiend since '00 (if only I could've bought mine new...)

BlitzSilvia
04-19-2003, 06:42 PM
Well since we are on the topic of sunroofs....

Mine is busticated...when i press the button, I can hear the motor whine and whirl, but the sunroof seems to ignore it and stays closed. I haven't yet begun any steps to fix it because I don't get to drive my car yet...:mad: , but I figure it'll save some time if I can get some information now about it and how I should go about fixing it. Thanks for any help and no thanks for anyone who takes the time to yell at me for not searching or being fresh to zilvia:D

mrmephistopheles
04-19-2003, 06:51 PM
Originally posted by BlitzSilvia
Thanks for any help and no thanks for anyone who takes the time to yell at me for not searching or being fresh to zilvia:D

http://www.zilvia.net/f/showthread.php?s=&threadid=26941
Read this, and BREAK YO SELF, FOOL!

twitchy
04-19-2003, 10:38 PM
sorry i started such an argument. I mean, if someone doesnt have any solutions to offer I agree, why the hell bother to flame everyone who does, because I didnt search in the first place? I was asking on here again to see if anyone had any other ideas

Anyhoo...

transient
04-19-2003, 11:00 PM
Is there anyone one here with a working aftermarket sunroof? (as in one that doesn't leak) I really hate the stock sunroof that came with my 240. I'd like to find one that pops up and then slides back, but I'm sure as hell not going to get something that is going to leak.

AKADriver
04-19-2003, 11:20 PM
Mine doesn't leak... much... hahaha

Noisy as hell, though.

Aftermarket sunroofs will leak. The curvature of the glass never perfectly matches the curvature of the roof like a factory sunroof will.

mrmephistopheles
04-19-2003, 11:41 PM
Originally posted by twitchy
sorry i started such an argument. I mean, if someone doesnt have any solutions to offer I agree, why the hell bother to flame everyone who does, because I didnt search in the first place? I was asking on here again to see if anyone had any other ideas

Anyhoo...

What makes you think I was flaming you? I was just giving you some avenues of approach to get answers to your questions, in case someone on here didn't know, and because I don't usually have time to respond to every question like this (a question that's been answered previously). The only time I took offense was when someone misinterpreted my reply. So be it.
I hope you found your answer.

transient
04-20-2003, 10:32 AM
I don't exactly understand why the curvature of the glass has anything to do with it... If there's a good seal around the sunroof shouldn't it keep the water out anyway?