PDA

View Full Version : Leaking WATER(???) from front main seal?? NO START!! HELP

bl3ujay07
07-20-2009, 07:34 PM
Hey guys, long story short, i let my brother drive my car, 89 hatch with sr swap from Stockton (norcal) to LA, (camarillo to be exact) with his gf and her sister.

First, on their way, before they hit the grapevines, my brother said that he heard a loud sound under the car. He pulled over and found that the bottom radiator hose that connects to block cam off because the clamp (old ones) was loose and lost all the coolant. I had screw drivers and everything in my car so he re connected and poured water a 1 gallon bottle water (i assume just water because thats all i saw him bring). Then i didnt hear from him for a while. (i told him to buy new clamps and fill it up with antifreeze and water and check everything before he comes back down. No answer so i dont know if he did or did not.

So, he called me about 2 hours ago. 45-an hour from camrillo towards grapevine, he calls me and tells me my car is dead!!! He tells me he heard some clinking in engine bay, pulled over and checked it out. See some water leaking. Then tries to start the car, cranks but wont start. He says that there is WATER leaking UNDER and BY the crank pulley. He calls me and says "water is leaking from your crank shaft". I dont think so and don beleive so because how the hell can he tell, but what do you think?

Do you guys (and or gals) think the problem is? He says its leaking under and near the crankshat pulley. It cranks but doesnt start. Would a dead/laking water pump or blown front main seal cause this?

Would a blown front main seal leak water??? I am hoping it didnt overheat!!!! HELP ME OUT!!

Bigsyke
07-20-2009, 07:37 PM
You cant just refill and drive. I blew a hose once, and just filling up the radiator only filled it up maybe 50%, since there were airpockets that were trapped.

You probably blew it....it def over heated if you just fill and drive.

Sileighty_85
07-20-2009, 07:38 PM
Its from the water pump, there is a "weep hole" on the bottom of the water pump so when the water pump seal goes out water will "weep" out of it, since the W/P is right above the C/S its probably giving the apperance of water comming from the Crank

as far as the car not starting not sure why that would happen,

if it over heated the H/G more than likely blew, tell him to check the oil's color, if it looks like chocolate milk then the head gasket is blown

Bigsyke
07-20-2009, 07:39 PM
^^^possibly because the tstat didnt open due to air pocket, and the head warped extremely?

bl3ujay07
07-20-2009, 07:40 PM
^^^He says that there is still coolant in the radiator and doesnt seem like any kind of mixing between oil coolant.

Im thinking HE blew the engine, but just want to know for sure before i make a damn 10 hour mission getting the damn car back to stockton.

bl3ujay07
07-20-2009, 07:42 PM
Just recently, new nismo thermostat, 2" aluminum radiator, s14 e-fan, and new coolant to make sure my shit dont over heat. It had a cheap metal cometic hg btw.

Bigsyke
07-20-2009, 07:45 PM
ouch! usually that doesnt help at all, unless you have a swirl tank, even still you need to bleed it if you ever have an opening in the coolant system.

Bro radiator could be full, but if the thermostat doesnt open up the air gets trapped in the front cover- it would seem the radiator is full, but you will never know untill the lower hose and cover gets HOT. Even still unless the radiator cap is off, its only a matter of time the air pockets collect and block the tsat

bl3ujay07
07-20-2009, 08:15 PM
^^^Im affraid he either didnt bleed it or worst, didnt even put coolant but just water in it. Damn. Right when someone called to by the damn car too!!! So much for getting my g20.

Sileighty_85
07-20-2009, 08:33 PM
yeah if not bled properly it will over heat, Stock temp gauge is worthless you need a aftermarket one,

Why get a G20? its FWD and a SRDE?

bl3ujay07
07-20-2009, 08:48 PM
^^^I know its FWD and srde. Spend too much time on the car. Getting me off track and distracting me from school and work. Need something with a/c, automatic, and a bit more "luxurious" at a cheap price.

well my brother just called and said it starts, but it seems like waterpump is out and possibly the steel braided turbo coolant hose???

importdude
07-20-2009, 08:57 PM
if he did not bleed it and ADDed Cold Coolant to a HOT engine

and proceeded to drive on it
Chances are he overheated it

adding all water is no problem

Cold coolant/water +hot engine= Air bubbles

Might also be a bad broken waterpump