PDA

View Full Version : coilovers with stock struts

warauto
07-19-2009, 03:03 PM
What are the pros and cons of running coilovers with stock struts, i am getting some free eibach coils so i was wondering if putting them on my car is a good idea......95 base model s14

slothonaleash
07-19-2009, 03:08 PM
I'm guessing you're talking about those slip-on things.

Bad idea.

Your shocks will blow

drift freaq
07-19-2009, 03:09 PM
What are the pros and cons of running coilovers with stock struts, i am getting some free eibach coils so i was wondering if putting them on my car is a good idea......95 base model s14

Are you getting the Ground control collars and sleeves? If you are just getting the springs you still would need the collars and sleeves.

Though you will blow out those stock struts pretty quickly with the uprated Eibach springs.

I suggest you either do it right or don't do it. I.E. get some koni's and put together a setup or even get some KYB AGX's.

warauto
07-19-2009, 03:22 PM
i do have the colars and sleeves.....I thought as much. I guess its the same principle as cutting your springs struts wern't meant for the change ?

drift freaq
07-19-2009, 03:24 PM
i do have the colars and sleeves.....I thought as much. I guess its the same principle as cutting your springs struts wern't meant for the change ?

if you have the collars and sleeves do yourself a favor and get some Koni's for your car and put that shit together. You will have a suspension setup that rivals and betters a good percentage of the coilover setups most people stick on our cars.

Koni's with Ground Controls are not to be sneezed at. They are pretty dope when done right.

josephin510
07-19-2009, 03:25 PM
I would just run it untill you can get better.

warauto
07-19-2009, 03:29 PM
how would it ride, if i did just slap them on? It rides like shit now on the stockers anyway....

drift freaq
07-19-2009, 03:34 PM
how would it ride, if i did just slap them on? It rides like shit now on the stockers anyway....

well the thing is if it rides like shit right now on the stockers then your stock shocks are most likely blown. You do not want to put those coils on stock struts and you especially do not want to put them on blown stock struts.

Just get your mind off the whole idea of sticking them on the stock struts. Its just a major mistake and downright dumb. Just get some KYB AGX's at least for around $300 a set and put the setup on them. You will have a nice height adjustable and adjustable damper setup for cheap. Not the best, definitely not the worst and will be an improvement over stock blown or not.

If you have more money like around $500-600 get some Koni's and build a baller setup. Don't buy into the stupid hype of cheap coilovers made in Taiwan,Korea or China that sell for $500-$700 you will just be getting worse shit than running the Ground Controls with the KYB AGX's.

Bigsyke
07-19-2009, 03:44 PM
Make sure your bushigns are in good shape and properly preloaded/clocked else you could bend the shaft, if your going for a baller setup.

silly_13
07-19-2009, 04:20 PM
just save up for some real coilovers they go cheap here plus u got the benifits of 36 way dampening and camber. I had those ebay sleeves on stock shocks and they are not that great. When u hit a bump ur whole rear end would bounce up and down for like 5-6 secs, and its not really safe on the freeway. Some dude asked me 1 time if i had switches, i told him no just really blown shocks lol.

warauto
07-19-2009, 04:20 PM
no baller setup for right now.... i guess i could take the set just to have them then....

heavenboundkevin
07-19-2009, 05:06 PM
take whatever youre getting for free, and post em on craigslist, for some profit. duh! I am a genius i know,...

92SEric240sx
07-19-2009, 05:30 PM
just save up for some real coilovers they go cheap here plus u got the benifits of 36 way dampening and camber. I had those ebay sleeves on stock shocks and they are not that great. When u hit a bump ur whole rear end would bounce up and down for like 5-6 secs, and its not really safe on the freeway. Some dude asked me 1 time if i had switches, i told him no just really blown shocks lol.
+1 Do yourself a favor and save up for some decent shocks and struts and do it right the first time. I've rode around on blown coilovers before, you may save some money up front, but any complications that come from that will cost you big. I rubbed my harness raw and shorted out my ecu in the rain one time. Then i had to wait a week for parts to ship. not to mention it's dangerous