PDA

View Full Version : RTV won't stay on!

dongoesby
07-19-2009, 03:44 AM
So I cleaned the upper oil pan today for my SR, and I put the red RTV supplied in the gasket kit from Nissan. I'm not sure if I put on the RTV right because it is my first time doing it. As told by the FSM, I put 5mm RTV in a continuous form; however, about 1 hour later, I see the RTV that compressed out on the edge has became solid and fell fall. It separated from the rest.

Did I put too much? Is this okay? I'm sure I torqued them right.

GSXRJJordan
07-19-2009, 03:55 AM
RTV is special because it 'squishes' down to a VERY thin layer while still sealing tight... if you added too much, you would have seen it squish out the sides right as you were torquing it down....

... anyway, as long as it's fairly uniform (meaning there's not some parts with RTV coming out, and some parts where you can't see RTV at all), you should be fine.

dongoesby
07-19-2009, 01:58 PM
Yea, I've seen that thin layer "squishes" out on all the water pump and water necks that I did before. It appears to be squished out evenly on all sides, same as the oil pan. However, toward to the front of the oil pan, where near the crank pulley, had a whole chunk of RTV squished out and solid'd out and fell off.

RTV is special because it 'squishes' down to a VERY thin layer while still sealing tight... if you added too much, you would have seen it squish out the sides right as you were torquing it down....

... anyway, as long as it's fairly uniform (meaning there's not some parts with RTV coming out, and some parts where you can't see RTV at all), you should be fine.

aznpoopy
07-19-2009, 06:59 PM
i wouldn't worry about it.

the important part was cleaning out that groove along the oil pan mating surface.

Shadowhunter
07-19-2009, 08:44 PM
If you used too much it will of course squish out the sides when you torque the bolts down, rtv conforms to the shape of the item you applied it to. Such as oil pan,diff cover etc and as long as you used it,and made a gasket shape around the pan it should be good to go,

dongoesby
07-19-2009, 11:43 PM
i wouldn't worry about it.

the important part was cleaning out that groove along the oil pan mating surface.

Even if it fell off?? Yes, I cleaned the surface the best I can. The thing that worries me is that it fell off...

murda-c
07-19-2009, 11:45 PM
do you mean like it fell out and there is a gap now?

Or just the piece that was dangling out broke off once it cured

tre4s13
07-20-2009, 01:51 AM
Honestly I dont believe it matters how much you apply...as long as it isnt excessive....or skimp....did you allow it to sit for about 10-15 minutes? you cant just apply it and smash it on...it has to get tacky first..

aznpoopy
07-20-2009, 11:30 AM
Even if it fell off?? Yes, I cleaned the surface the best I can. The thing that worries me is that it fell off...

i rip off the dry squished out bits all the time. makes it look cleaner.

seriously, i wouldn't worry about it. if you have the engine on a stand, maybe do it again just for your own peace of mind. you don't have to use nissan rtv. any $5 rtv from the store will do.

if it's on the car, fuck it unless it leaks, imo.

dongoesby
07-20-2009, 12:50 PM
i rip off the dry squished out bits all the time. makes it look cleaner.

seriously, i wouldn't worry about it. if you have the engine on a stand, maybe do it again just for your own peace of mind. you don't have to use nissan rtv. any $5 rtv from the store will do.

if it's on the car, fuck it unless it leaks, imo.

The engine is on a stand now, but it is still a bitch to put everything on. The RTV is very tough to press out, I couldn't almost feel my finger.

This is how clean I cleaned the Oil Pan touching surface.
http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m148/Dongoesby/DSC01659.jpg

This is the rear of the motor. The RTV has became solid, but you can see, it is separated.
http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m148/Dongoesby/DSC01660.jpg

The RTV that squished out at the front of the motor is appearing the same and it actually fell off.
http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m148/Dongoesby/DSC01661.jpg

For peace of mind, should I redone this? I worry about the inside of the motor would appear the same, which fell off inside. I wouldn't worry it has a few drips of leak.

Ceepo
07-20-2009, 12:56 PM
wow you used ALOT... im sure your fine....

aznpoopy
07-20-2009, 01:26 PM
hm. weird that it fell off.

i'm sure the seal itself is fine.

but i actually agree with you. i wouldn't be happy with clumps of rtv sitting in my oil pan, waiting to get sucked up by the oil pick up.