PDA

View Full Version : can't pass smog ><

lawrenceyang
07-16-2009, 10:54 PM
okay so i've been having this little dilemma when it comes to my 240, it doesn't pass the hydrocarbon test during smog. my last reading for HC was 102 for 15mph and 78 for 25mph, around twenty points too high for each respective speed. this is the second time that this has happened and the guy who did my smog told me that a) it could be that i have corroded wires and that they're causing my HC reading to be so high or b) its my ignition system. so i got new spark plugs but im not exactly sure which wires he was referring to or how exactly to clean them properly, any suggestions ?

DreamN
07-16-2009, 11:19 PM
Sound like you're running too rich. Change or clean your air filter, disconnect & clean out your IAV valve, then recheck your timing & idle. Once you've cleaned out your IAV valve, reconnect it, then check your idle. Adjust if necessary. Your idle shouldn't change more than 50 rpm from the 650 you set it at.

Make sure to check you have a GOOD CLEAN electrical connection at the Engine Coolant Temperature Sensor wire. If you wiggle that wire and your idle starts to fluctuate, then you need to disconnect it, clean it, grease it with di-electric grease, then re-connect it. A bad signal from the engine coolant temperature sensor wire will cause extra fuel to dump into your intake manifold causing you to run rich.

S-Nation S13
07-16-2009, 11:37 PM
Make sure to check you have a GOOD CLEAN electrical connection at the Engine Coolant Temperature Sensor wire. If you wiggle that wire and your idle starts to fluctuate, then you need to disconnect it, clean it, grease it with di-electric grease, then re-connect it. hm..mine seems to be doing this !!!!

^^what he said might want to see if your o2 is straight to..but to be honest that would be the last thing i would check..!!

lawrenceyang
07-17-2009, 01:23 AM
well i got a new o2 sensor and egr valve around a month ago but i'll see if i can clean out the air box and shit =p
lol does anyone know where to get it illegally smogged for cheap haha