PDA

View Full Version : Voltage Regulator?

Nismos14
04-16-2003, 04:39 PM
Does our car have one, and does anyone know how we would know if there is something wrong with it?.......

Phlip
04-16-2003, 05:34 PM
Voltage regulation is only needed on the generator/alternator circuit, but alternators don't need voltage regulation, you regulate the output by regulating the input to it, and NONE of you has ownbed a car with a generator... If you are having a problem, it is likely something else. What exactly is happening?

Nismos14
04-16-2003, 06:43 PM
well if i didnt drive the car after like 2 days of not driving the car the battery would die..... then i changed the battery like over 2 years ago, and the same problem 2 days without driving the car dead battery and the new batter didnt help...... alternator?

Phlip
04-17-2003, 05:21 PM
Alternator, but you are in luck... The only thing that usually goes wrong in the alternator are the brushes, and this sounds like the problem you are having... Alt: Never bought one... Brushes: 10 bucks. You will have to disassemble to alternator to replace them if our alternators are like they were on my old cars, but I have never had to replace the brushes in my 240...

Nismos14
04-17-2003, 09:51 PM
ahh i see.. well how hard is that to do?..... any possible problems in dissassembling the alt?

Phlip
04-18-2003, 02:40 PM
No, they are really simple to disassemble, just a coupla bolts holding it together on the outside and 3 on the inside to take out... The brushes are held in by small bolts and use springs to press them against the sliprings, once you have them in you are set, you will need to use a paperclip or a piece of safety wire to hold the brushes back while you put the rotor back in, then just pull it out once you are back together and the alternator wil be as good as new...