PDA

View Full Version : removing AIV/charcoal canister

Tom25666
07-10-2009, 11:50 PM
is there any point in removing the aiv/charcoal canister on a redtop sr if it was installed with the swap? any advantages besides freeing up some space? how do you run the vacuum lines with them removed?

g6civcx
07-11-2009, 06:15 AM
is there any point in removing the aiv/charcoal canister on a redtop sr if it was installed with the swap? any advantages besides freeing up some space?

In my 10 or so years of experience with SR swaps into S-chassis, I have never seen a single swap where the AIV and the EVAP canister was installed correctly.

You need some extra equipment that usually don't come with a motorset, and people who buy front clip don't usually install these.

So I highly doubt you have a working AIV/EVAP to begin with.

Assuming that you somehow miraculously have it working correctly, you can gain some performance benefits because these systems are strictly for emissions. A faulty AIV can cause bad idle and other hesitation problem.

A faulty EVAP system can cause vacuum leak and other problems.

how do you run the vacuum lines with them removed?

Typically anything that was originally routed to these parts can be removed and plugged.

I must have told thousands of people how to plumb the charcoal canister vacuum line. The fuel line can be vented anywhere. The vacuum lines going to the canister need to be plugged on the throttle body.

Just about every aftermarket turbo elbow removes the AIV line. Just check your entire intake and exhaust system for something that opens to atmosphere and plug them.

Tom25666
07-12-2009, 09:15 PM
alright thanks

schells86
07-16-2010, 01:36 AM
what do you do with the hardline that runs from the bottom of the evap can back to the passengerside firewall? just take it out and vent it to the atmosphere?

g6civcx
07-16-2010, 07:32 AM
That line runs all the way to a one-way check valve and then the fuel tank. You can remove everything up to but leave the check valve. You can also put a breather filter on the line if you want.

Just don't plug up the line.

Luvs2slide
07-17-2010, 01:17 AM
Any pics of this??? And what/what not to cap?

snowmants
04-05-2013, 06:03 PM
old thread, but would love to see this too!

Kingtal0n
04-05-2013, 06:07 PM
hehe, next thing you know people will be asking how to activate EGR and where is that fuel smell coming from? :p