PDA

View Full Version : car pulls to right but its not the brakes

KingKong8247
04-14-2003, 11:25 PM
Hey, Ok well when I am slowing down my car puls to the right a bit. The wheel will only move about 45 degrees to the right but thats enough to go into another car if my hands slip a little. It doesnt happen every time but a couple times a day. I checked my brakes and they have plenty of life left plus they were just changed a couple months ago. So any idea why this is happening??

Also my control arm ball joints on the underneath are cracked pretty good and my TC rod bushings are cracked also pretty good (got Teins on the way:D) on both sides just to add that. Well thanks for reading

DSC
04-14-2003, 11:55 PM
If its pulling ONLY under braking, i'd say something is messed up on one of your lines or your MC to give one side more braking force than another.

I assume you meant 4 to 5 degrees, cauz 45 is A LOT, hehe.

theFlowMasta
04-15-2003, 12:18 AM
hey u should also check your tires, like rebalacning them, also so roads have a slope that makes n e car drift to the right...u should test to see if pulls to the right in an empty parking lot, or n e where thats flat...

DSC
04-15-2003, 12:20 AM
Yeah, do what he said first :p I'm great at overlooking the basic (read: most likely) stuff :o

M.Piedlourde
04-15-2003, 08:11 AM
FlowMasta is right. Verify the problem by testing in a flat parking lot of some other similar spot and make sure your tires are good.

Is the car aligned properly?

Also, are you SURE that your brakes are ok? I had an old 911 that had a problem very similar to the one you're describing. Turned out that one of the brake pistons was binding in its caliper and not releasing completely, which caused the car to drag to one side whenever I braked. Very annoying and somewhat dangerous.

KingKong8247
04-15-2003, 09:34 AM
Well I know it isnt because the roads sloap a little becasue it happened a couple of times on the road right outside Wendy's and that is pretty flat. Maybe it is the MC becasue I had a new one put in a little while ago so maybe something is messed up.

I dont know how to check the calipers so I couldnt tell you if one of the pistons is not releasing properly. I look to find some info and see if then I can check em. I just checked my pads and they seem well.

I'm pretty sure my tires are good but I'll double check them also.
And the alignment also seems fine becasue when I do the 'let go of the steering wheel goin 25 mph' it stays going straight.

Oh and DSC I was trying to say if you look at the steering wheel the top of it moves 45 degrees .

s13driver
04-15-2003, 09:46 AM
what happens if it is turning left instead of right ? would the cause of that problem be the same ? i mean my cars tends to go left when i brake sometimes.. and sometimes it does do 45 degree if i m not holding the wheel while i brake..

Yoshi
04-15-2003, 10:01 AM
also, if the T/C bushings are gone on the side that's pulling, but passable on the opposite side, he'll get some extra bumpsteer from the excess bushing play, resulting in being pulled in the direction of the bumpsteer. This can also happen if you've in any way bent some of your suspension parts or frame mounting points (ie drifting into a curb).

KingKong8247
04-15-2003, 11:32 AM
Ok well I checked my tires and they are fine. Also I havnt checked my calipers yet but what do I do just look to see if the piston is sticking or something?? I dont really know.

I also dont know if it is bumpsteer I'll pay more attention nexttime to feel if I hit a bump or not.

KingKong8247
04-15-2003, 07:52 PM
So can anyone tell me how to check if the caliper is sticking?? or should I start a new thread?? Thanks

mrmephistopheles
04-15-2003, 08:25 PM
A stuck caliper will drag the pads against the rotor and overheat them, eliminating any usefulness they had in stopping the vehicle.
Pull off both of your front wheels and inspect your rotors and pads.. If you can, take pics. Describe for us what you see, k?