PDA

View Full Version : Best place to put temp sensor?

toointoxicated62
07-06-2009, 09:21 PM
I have an aftermarket temp sensor because my stock one doesnt work. Where is the best place to put it, i have it on the lower hose coming off the radiator. Im sure im not getting a good reading.

The stock sensor location is the best im assuming, could someone tell me what thread it is? Aftermarket is 1/8 npt.

ixfxi
07-06-2009, 09:56 PM
engine output coolant is up top.

engine return coolant is down bottom.

oe locations typically monitor coolant output temps.

fliprayzin240sx
07-07-2009, 03:40 AM
One option, atleast for SRs, is on the upper water neck bleeder screw. Take the screw out and tap it for the sensor if it doesnt fit.

GSXRJJordan
07-07-2009, 03:54 AM
engine output coolant is up top.

engine return coolant is down bottom.

oe locations typically monitor coolant output temps.

THIS is knowledgeable, concise posting. :love:

You didn't mention whether you're using a mechanical or electric gauge. Electric is smaller, and most people just pull out the stock sender (the single-pin, to the cluster, not the 3-pin to the ECU) and thread in the aftermarket one. Use teflon tape.

The other option is to do what I did - my mechanical LFG probe is too big for the stock water neck location, so I'm tapped into the lower rad use via a hose adapter. This way I see what temp is going into the engine - either is fine though.

DrtyRat
07-07-2009, 01:45 PM
Stance makes a water neck adaptor that is threaded for aftermarket temp sensors. I'm about to order one from enjuku soon.

ixfxi
07-07-2009, 05:04 PM
THIS is knowledgeable, concise posting. :love:

You didn't mention whether you're using a mechanical or electric gauge. Electric is smaller, and most people just pull out the stock sender (the single-pin, to the cluster, not the 3-pin to the ECU) and thread in the aftermarket one. Use teflon tape.

Negative on the teflon, maing.

Teflon interferes with the sensor's ground. Electronic gauges rely on voltage and ground to create a good signal. Teflon tape will change the ground resistance which can make your gauges read wrong. Yet another reason why I always tell you fuckers to make sure your engine and chassis grounds are good, because a loose or weak ground can cause A LOT of headache.

Remember, most sensors are tapered thread which seal like a glove.

GSXRJJordan
07-08-2009, 02:04 AM
Negative on the teflon, maing.

Teflon interferes with the sensor's ground. Electronic gauges rely on voltage and ground to create a good signal. Teflon tape will change the ground resistance which can make your gauges read wrong. Yet another reason why I always tell you fuckers to make sure your engine and chassis grounds are good, because a loose or weak ground can cause A LOT of headache.

Remember, most sensors are tapered thread which seal like a glove.

The threads cut through the teflon tape on the tips of the threads, and anywhere where the taper actually seals - the tape simply fills the spots that don't. If you thread a bolt (or sensor) in with teflon tape and pull it out, you'll see what I mean :)

Although, I'm sure there's electrically conductive thread sealant... maybe something like Arctic Silver for CPUs?

ixfxi
07-08-2009, 09:45 AM
The threads cut through the teflon tape on the tips of the threads, and anywhere where the taper actually seals - the tape simply fills the spots that don't. If you thread a bolt (or sensor) in with teflon tape and pull it out, you'll see what I mean :)

Although, I'm sure there's electrically conductive thread sealant... maybe something like Arctic Silver for CPUs?

all the sensors ive purchased said specifically not to use any type of sealant such as teflon, etc....

ive been using vdo products with no sealant for over 10 years with great success. no sealant my friend, no need. think of it like this: its less work.

done and done

toointoxicated62
07-08-2009, 08:08 PM
all the sensors ive purchased said specifically not to use any type of sealant such as teflon, etc....

ive been using vdo products with no sealant for over 10 years with great success. no sealant my friend, no need. think of it like this: its less work.

done and done

agreed no sealant or anything, but my sensor is two wires, ground and signal to the guage, using teflon shouldnt effect it.

I did however use teflon on my oil pressure line just to be safe, again that sensor also is a two wire sensor, signal and ground

GSXRJJordan
07-08-2009, 08:23 PM
agreed no sealant or anything, but my sensor is two wires, ground and signal to the guage, using teflon shouldnt effect it.

I did however use teflon on my oil pressure line just to be safe, again that sensor also is a two wire sensor, signal and ground

Lol teflon tape doesn't seal petroleum stuff (oil, fuel, etc). Should have used oil-safe thread sealant - Permatex makes some, it comes in a white tube with red lettering.

makulit054
07-08-2009, 08:45 PM
I mounted my water temp gauge into the water jacket of the engine. There's plugs there you can unscrew and put the temp sensor into.