PDA

View Full Version : Performance Steering Rack

Jordan249
07-06-2009, 10:26 AM
Well, I did some searching around and really didn't find much about it, so I though I would ask you guys about it. My car starts to shake at about 65+ mph and the steering as not as responsive as I would like it to be. Is it worth to getting a aftermarket steering rack and would it actually make a difference? If so, which ones would you recommend?
-Jordan

murda-c
07-06-2009, 10:37 AM
Make sure your rack is adjusted properly, get solid or urethane rack bushings, rod ends, and if it's an s13 get a solid shaft bushing. Make sure your wheel bearings and wheel balance are good.

Stock rack is fine.

veeates36
07-06-2009, 10:40 AM
Check out the Steering Rack Bushings.. Chances are they're worn out which means they arent doing the job they should be and causing a horrible shaking.

clark
07-06-2009, 10:47 AM
lol all 240s shake at 65+

what they all said plus. steering response can also be affected by your tension rods. if they are stock, then they're shot, no question on that.

Jordan249
07-06-2009, 05:42 PM
I've redone the entire rear suspension and have control rods in my garage for the front, i just have to adjust them. Thanks guys, I'll get my bushings replaced. If you have any other suggestions just let me know. I have a 1997 240 btw.

ManoNegra
07-06-2009, 07:18 PM
don't know about aftermarket racks
only 'upgrade' I know of is the Hicas rack
but that's just because of the steering ratio

I'll add balancing/rotating your tires
and maybe checking your alignment to what
already has been suggested.

I just had something similar
vibration through the steering column all the time
but worse when braking
rotors (and tie rods ends) didn't look too good
so I figured I had warped rotors
turned out to be bad piston seals on the calipers
replaced both calipers and did a string alignment
and problem solved
(even though I changed them, tie rods weren't too bad)

ixfxi
07-06-2009, 09:55 PM
lol all 240s shake at 65+

what they all said plus. steering response can also be affected by your tension rods. if they are stock, then they're shot, no question on that.

not true at all

if you have the 55-65 wheel shimmy that disappears when you go slower or faster, then it is the power steering tension spring. the spring is located inside the steering rack. its cheap and easy to replace.

it could also be a misbalanced/bent wheel that cannot be balanced, but i can pretty much guarantee you that its the spring. nissan even put out a TSB on it.

what year is your car, s13? 89-90 i would assume...

Jordan249
07-07-2009, 06:26 PM
not true at all

if you have the 55-65 wheel shimmy that disappears when you go slower or faster, then it is the power steering tension spring. the spring is located inside the steering rack. its cheap and easy to replace.

it could also be a misbalanced/bent wheel that cannot be balanced, but i can pretty much guarantee you that its the spring. nissan even put out a TSB on it.

what year is your car, s13? 89-90 i would assume...

I have a 1997 240sx. lol. I had my wheels balanced. I'm going to get get my front control arms installed and get an alignment once I sell my subaru. I'm selling it for pretty cheap so hopefully I get a bite soon.

hondanissan
07-08-2010, 08:30 PM
its been a while. did you ever get that issue figured out? i got the same problem with my 95 right now.

Jordan249
07-10-2010, 02:09 PM
its been a while. did you ever get that issue figured out? i got the same problem with my 95 right now.

I did not. However, I got a 95 240SX now for my drift car. I've noticed the same thing, and I think the responsiveness can be improved with solid bushings. As far as the shaking I say make sure your wheels are good to go and balanced well.