PDA

View Full Version : Overheating problem...????

chentes14
07-04-2009, 12:31 PM
i have a 95 240sx that would just start overheating if i drove it for about a mile, so i checked on the thermostat and i didnt have one since i bought the car, so that means there was water going through the whole time and it shouldnt overheat, well i replaced the hoses because they had small holes on them top and bottom, replaced the thermostat, and replaced the radiator, i put coolant in there, i let it run for about 30 minutes and everything was fine, then i took it for a drive and it overheated right away, does anybody know what that could be..???

Razi
07-04-2009, 01:18 PM
Did you bleed the coolant for air bubbles?

Bigsyke
07-04-2009, 01:22 PM
Almot 99% of the time you overheat driving normally is a pocket in the system that;

A: prevents the thermostat from opening in the front cover

B: trips the sending unit to hot mode because its getting a ton of scattered air pockets.

You have air and probably a leak somewhere.

chentes14
07-04-2009, 01:28 PM
yeah thats what im going to do next flush it and see what happens, im going to take out the thermostat because it might not be opening and maybe that will fix the problem and if it doesnt and i have no idea, maybe it could be the water pump. well see....

skyvia686
07-04-2009, 01:40 PM
ya almost 90% of ppl that replace their radiator hoses or anything that means flushing out the coolant forget to bleed the system for air bubbles. it should be the only reason why your overheating if you replaced the radiator hoses and thermostat. let me know if it works. and u know how to right?

chentes14
07-04-2009, 01:49 PM
no ive never done it , how do you bleed it to get air bubbles out...

midnight_rex
07-04-2009, 01:53 PM
after your done flushing it:

1. fill up the radiator with half water and half antifreeze.

2. Start the car and watch coolant in radiator drain throughout the motor.

3. Refill coolant as needed until radiator is filled with appropriate coolant. also make sure to fill up your reservoir.

NOTE: ***during this whole precess you need to leave the motor running***

you cant just fill up the radiator after a good drain and then start the car and expect the whole system to be properly filled. filling the radiator with coolant only will start the process of circulation. the system needs to be filled at max level to stay under pressure. causing boiling in the system will open the door for overheating problems. i hope this helps you understand a lil about cooling systems in engines.

skyvia686
07-04-2009, 02:01 PM
this is how i did it. fill up the antifreeze to the max in the radiator. then you leave the cap off and keep a solid rev at 22-2400rpms. once it starts bubbling turn it off. once it stops bubbling add more anti freeze. and do the same again. keep doing it until it gets filled and stays filled. remember cap off of the radiator

bruceguy
07-04-2009, 03:06 PM
also jacking the front end helps bubbles escape..... (bloop).....

heavenboundkevin
07-04-2009, 11:14 PM
dont forget about this doo hickey.
http://img129.imageshack.us/img129/5775/zzmediumod2.jpg
im pretty sure your 95' would have this..