PDA

View Full Version : Car Keeps Turning Off!

Asmar
07-01-2009, 12:28 AM
My S13 keeps turning off randomly when I'm driving. Sometimes it will go 100 miles without turing off as I'm driving and sometimes it will go no more then 100 feet before turning off. I can't seem to figure out what the problem is, took it to 2 different shops to get thing changed/fixed but problem is still here. More detailed info about the problem:

Changed:
- Battery
- Coil Pack
- Fuel Injector
- Fuel Pump
- Spark Plugs
- Spark Plug Wires

Nothing has worked! The car still keeps turning off randomly... What some people think the problem might be:

Possibilities:
- Engine Coolant Temperature Switch Malfunctioning
- Water in Fuel System/Tank
- Wiring Problem

Everything seems fine... Does anyone have any idea what the problem is or what it might be? Also something to note is when the car turns off randomly when I'm driving, it doesn't wanna turn back on for a while. I gotta try to turn it on and wait 2-3 mins and try again until it finally wants to turn on again. But once it turns on, I can turn it on and off normally. Turning the car on after it has turned off randomly is a pain... Also one more thing to note is sometimes the temp gauge reads the temp being very close to extremely hot when the car doesn't seem like its heating up or anything... Any help on this would be great. Thanks!

krazyfil
07-01-2009, 01:32 AM
does the car turn off as in no pwer? or it just shuts off and u have to turn the key again? if its option 2 then check ur ecu... that happened with my z31 i thought it was fuel pump, filter, injectors plugs alternator everything lol... i finally sold the car to a friend and she picked up an ecu from the junk yard and it worked fine afterwards lol..

Asmar
07-01-2009, 01:56 AM
does the car turn off as in no pwer? or it just shuts off and u have to turn the key again? if its option 2 then check ur ecu... that happened with my z31 i thought it was fuel pump, filter, injectors plugs alternator everything lol... i finally sold the car to a friend and she picked up an ecu from the junk yard and it worked fine afterwards lol..

Yeah it just turns off and I have to turn the key again. I'll change the ECU and see what it does. Thanks for your input.

krazyfil
07-01-2009, 02:00 AM
no prob best of luck... the reason i just got rid of the car is cuz i thought the wiring was messed up... (i got the car with over 300k) so check ur local junk yeard and see if that makes a difference if not.. dont know what else to say

shinmei-2006
07-01-2009, 06:28 PM
does your ebrake light come on when it shuts off?

idlafie
07-04-2009, 03:01 AM
I'll change the ECU and see what it does. Thanks for your input.

Before you go thru the hassles of replacing the ECU, have you put it in Diagnostic Mode & checked to see if it is kicking any codes?? If your car is cutting out on you for no apparent reason, then chances are you have a bad connection somewhere in your wiring harness. Checking the ECU for codes might help you track down the problem area. It could be anywhere and finding it will be a bitch. The usual suspect areas are where the wiring harness connect to the ECU, the fenderwell area...lowered S13 tires rub thru the fender well & rub up against the body harness, the wiring leading to the main fuses in the engine compartment by the battery, and maybe the harness leading up to the ignition switch. Trying to figure out the problem is going to take a patient mechanic & plenty of time...cuz he'll have to trace every stinking circuit to figure out which one is causing the problem.

Goodluck!!...Hope this helps...

ID

skyvia686
07-04-2009, 01:47 PM
do you have a car alarm? because i was out in my s13 wednsday night sliding and my car randomly turned off in a mid drift. we all couldnt figure out what was wrong esp since me and my friends arent that hot on wiring. we all guessed the car alarm wiring. so i towed it to the shop i go to and they said whoever installed it were dumbasses and there was a major short in the wiring. i would say even if you dont have an alarm check the ignition wiring, just about every wiring for the dash harness that would have to do with ignition fuel pump ect ect.