PDA

View Full Version : Overheating / leaking coolant!

jing
06-28-2009, 06:50 PM
On my way to work this morning I noticed smoke coming out of my hood, and my engine oil temperatures reading higher than normal. Parked the car, popped the hood, and noticed coolant near my battery (right behind the passenger headlight cover). Waited a bit, opened up my radiator cap to take a look inside and noticed that all the coolant was gone from inside the rad, so I poured in water some water... then noticed that the water I poured in was slowly leaking out the bottom somewhere.

On my way back home, I made sure my rad was filled up. As I drove home, didn't notice anything wrong with my oil temp.. until I turned on the A/C. Not only did the A/C no longer work, but I noticed that with A/C enabled, my oil temperatures slowly rose, so of course, I turned it off and saw my oil temperatures return to normal.

I tried the A/C thing again later on and ran it for a good 5 minutes to watch my oil temperatures rise again. However this time, when I turned the A/C off, my oil temp still continued to rise. Thankfully I was near home at this point so when I got home, I quickly shut it off and popped the hood. My coolant reservoir seems to be a bit lower than the last time I checked, and it's safe to assume that my rad is empty yet again.

Any insight as to what the problem is? I'm guessing I have a leaky rad.. is it worth repairing, or should I just buy a new one?

Engine is a stock KA24DE w/ 240,000KM.

slider2828
06-28-2009, 08:28 PM
Do a compression testto see if your head gasket is messed up. Bleed your radiator and chnage the fluid. Also when was the last time you changed your timng belt water pump and thermostat? If never then do it now.

g6civcx
06-28-2009, 08:37 PM
Start with the easy stuff first. Pressure test the cooling system. Go on from there.

jing
06-28-2009, 09:41 PM
06282009111.flv video by jamesymobilio - Photobucket (http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v284/jamesymobilio/?action=view&current=06282009111.flv)

'nuff said. Timing chain rattle is ghey, just started clicking yesterday.

Tantwoforty
07-01-2009, 02:07 AM
i had a hole in my rad, i was broke for like 7 more days and i needed the car so i ghetto fixed the crack with some pc putty stuff i found at home depot (rofl) it worked great as far as sealing, buut i test drove it, it overheated so i parked it, it wouldent start again so i poped out my spark plugs and cranked it, sure enough water shot at my hood :/ so i mean yeah you can fix it for like 7 bucks till you get another rad, but do a comp test to be safe

Tantwoforty
07-01-2009, 02:08 AM
Do a compression testto see if your head gasket is messed up. Bleed your radiator and chnage the fluid. Also when was the last time you changed your timng belt water pump and thermostat? If never then do it now.
since when do ka's have timing belts?:mepoke: