PDA

View Full Version : Tranny won't go into reverse

CBS
06-27-2009, 02:24 PM
My ka 5spd tranny won't go into reverse. It goes through 1 to 5 like "butter"
but somehow it won't allow me to reverse. It seems as if somethings blocking it.

what can it be?

93nismo
06-27-2009, 03:08 PM
mine does that sometimes... its annoying but mine usually gos in if i put in in a different gear first for some reason... but my trannys for shit anyway.

CuriouslyJumping
06-27-2009, 04:00 PM
hmm definitely not clutch fluid, we need more input. bump

CBS
06-27-2009, 04:03 PM
ya Im totally clueless about this one.

all the other gears work perfect yet reverse is blocked

mazersx
06-27-2009, 04:06 PM
get a new TRANNY!!

Es14
06-27-2009, 04:14 PM
mine does that sometimes... its annoying but mine usually gos in if i put in in a different gear first for some reason... but my trannys for shit anyway.

That's the same with my car. I usually put it in first then reverse, or sometimes I just release and clutch in again and shift to reverse.

Forge_55b
06-27-2009, 04:21 PM
can you put it in gear with the car off?

GSXRJJordan
06-27-2009, 11:03 PM
Is the tranny in the car? If not, spin the output shaft a little, and try again. If so, try letting the car move a little then try.

Generally, reverse is not a gear that gets fucked up lol.

g6civcx
06-28-2009, 08:49 AM
Generally, reverse is not a gear that gets fucked up lol.

This is because reverse is straight cut. That's why it makes a whining noise when you go fast in reverse.

Check your clutch pedal travel and all your clutch hydro parts, including the master and slave for adequate movement.

If not there may be something internal and you'll have to pull the gearbox to check.

Vision Garage
06-28-2009, 01:01 PM
does the gear go in when the car is off? Or it wont go into reverse at all.

Steveohoes
06-28-2009, 01:22 PM
i have the same problem. here are some tricks you can do:
put it in 2nd then reverse
put it in first and roll forward abit and then put it into reverse while rolling forward

Razi
06-28-2009, 04:43 PM
It's not a 'problem', from what I understand, the reverse gear is a different type of gear than the others.

That is why the car whines when you move in reverse, and is also the reason why you have to move the car a little or put it into another gear if it doesn't go into reverse.

g6civcx
06-28-2009, 06:04 PM
It's not a 'problem', from what I understand, the reverse gear is a different type of gear than the others.

That is why the car whines when you move in reverse

Like I said above, reverse is a straight cut dog gear. All forward gears are helical cut for noise reduction. Dog gears are stronger but makes more noise. Imaging reversing down the freeway. That's why helical gears are used in the forward gears.

is also the reason why you have to move the car a little or put it into another gear if it doesn't go into reverse.

Straight cut gear is not why reverse is hard to select. Reverse gear has no synchroniser. Forward gears usually have one, two, or even three synchronisers. That's why you can know nothing about rev-matching and still drive.

Reverse requires perfect revmatching. Otherwise the gears won't mesh correctly.

Don't go into reverse until you stopped. If it still doesn't want to go in, put it in neutral, pop the clutch, blip the gas, and push the clutch in and try again.

If still nothing, push the clutch, select a forward gear, then select neutral and pop the clutch, then try again for reverse.

J90lude
06-30-2009, 12:40 AM
syncros??:drama:

Razi
06-30-2009, 01:36 AM
Ahh I see g8civcx, thanks for the knowledge.

g6civcx
06-30-2009, 10:27 AM
Sure thing Razi.

If you pull out your FSM, look in the MT section. It shows you a schematic of all the parts.

If you look at 1st-5th main gears, these gears are helical cut. The teeth on these gear are slanted at an angle.

If you look at reverse gear, this gear is completely straight, like something you would see on a clock.

Also, 1/2, 3/4, and 5th has their own synchronizer. Reverse does not have its own synchronizer to save on cost and complexity since you shouldn't need to shift into reverse while moving (which is the purpose of synchronizers for the forward gears).