PDA

View Full Version : Hacked MAF questions

IchigoMae
04-11-2003, 01:31 AM
So how does a turbo ka with 370cc injectors run with a hacked maf as compared to the stock size maf?

I read somewhere in aceinholes website about not needing an fmu with a hacked maf. is this true? so if i were to modify my mafs, would i still need my fmu? wat would happen if i ran with my fmu.

Modifying the mafs seems simple but how do yu do it? cut out everything cylindrical and replace it with a 3" pvc pipe?

my setup: 14b turbo, starion fmic, apex afc, 370cc injectors, fmu.

sykikchimp
04-11-2003, 10:02 AM
yeah.. no need for the FMU with the hacked MAF setup.

boosteds14
04-11-2003, 01:02 PM
i would PM Aceinhole. he knows for sure. he is always doin crazy things like that that seem easy until you actually try it:p

AceInHole
04-11-2003, 03:48 PM
Originally posted by boosteds14
i would PM Aceinhole. he knows for sure. he is always doin crazy things like that that seem easy until you actually try it:p

lol... yeah, it's easy untill you blow the MAF and drive to the junkyard in failsafe mode :mad:

So how does a turbo ka with 370cc injectors run with a hacked maf as compared to the stock size maf?
Assuming you do everything correctly, and your car was running well before... it should run like... stock. I've heard of people leaning out with FMU's though, so you may see a gain in power going to a hacked MAF, which I think, if done correctly, is safer and better than using an FMU.

I read somewhere in aceinholes website about not needing an fmu with a hacked maf. is this true? so if i were to modify my mafs, would i still need my fmu? wat would happen if i ran with my fmu.
Yup. The FMU raises fuel pressure by a factor of 8 or 10, or whatever the FMU is set to rise. This increases the amount of fuel the injectors flow when open. With larger injectors, you don't need the FMU. To control the larger injectors, you can use a hacked MAF.

Modifying the mafs seems simple but how do yu do it? cut out everything cylindrical and replace it with a 3" pvc pipe?
Pretty much, but PVC piping is way too big. Right now my setup is using a 3" peice of exhaust pipe, which has something like a 2 7/8" ID. It's great because 2.5" ID radiator hose fits snugly inside, and I've used peices of 2.5" ID radiator hose as spacers to adjust the MAF size as necessary. When I'm on the dyno later, I'll know if I need to increase or decrease from where I am now. Orion on FA seems to have no problems with his setup with no spacer, though.

my setup: 14b turbo, starion fmic, apex afc, 370cc injectors, fmu. If you have the apex afc, you can just use that to control the 370cc injectors. No need for the FMU, and no need for a hacked MAF.

Red
04-11-2003, 04:20 PM
How hard is it to swap out to a Cobra MAF or a 300zx MAF? this would do the same thing as hacking your own right?

AceInHole
04-11-2003, 05:45 PM
Originally posted by Red
How hard is it to swap out to a Cobra MAF or a 300zx MAF? this would do the same thing as hacking your own right?

No. The voltage per air "velocity" curves are different, as the type or resistor used is not universal. You'd need an air/ fuel controller of some sort to use either of those MAFS.