PDA

View Full Version : Starter click

jyb116
06-19-2009, 12:47 AM
HEY Guys im in need of some serious help. so i just swapped in a new sr20det into my silvia s13. everthings hooked up and i cranked it, it turned over once didnt start. tried again and i heard one click.take the battery to get tested and shes toast, so i get a new one and try cranking and again one click at the turn of the key. so i check all ground and find nothing wrong there. check timing and its off so i fix that, thinkin it will work it clicks again!!!! so me having a bunch of spare parts i hook up and new starter and yet again another click.

evertything seems to be working correctly i have spark and fuel but my starter just wont crank, just clicks

i need help asap

KiLLeR2001
06-19-2009, 01:05 AM
How are the connections to the starter? Positive 12V on there securely? How about the wire from ignition switch? The ignition wire that goes onto the starter (black w/ yellow stripe) is notorious for slipping off. Check that out.

yukon
06-19-2009, 02:05 AM
HEY Guys im in need of some serious help. so i just swapped in a new sr20det into my silvia s13. everthings hooked up and i cranked it, it turned over once didnt start. tried again and i heard one click.take the battery to get tested and shes toast, so i get a new one and try cranking and again one click at the turn of the key. so i check all ground and find nothing wrong there. check timing and its off so i fix that, thinkin it will work it clicks again!!!! so me having a bunch of spare parts i hook up and new starter and yet again another click.

evertything seems to be working correctly i have spark and fuel but my starter just wont crank, just clicks

i need help asap

can you explain how timing would affect an electric motor from starting?
i need this info as soon as possible.:rl:

steve_o1989
06-19-2009, 10:55 AM
can you explain how timing would affect an electric motor from starting?
i need this info as soon as possible.:rl:

Who gives a shit. Atleast he is trying to trouble shoot things himself first unlike half the people on here who just want a magic answer before even attempting anything themselves. Get off his case.

drkidd22
06-19-2009, 12:28 PM
Just make sure all the electrical connections are really good and tight. Does the starter even atemp to turn when you hear the click? Try to push start the car if possible. Try to turn the key w/o pressing the clutch and see if you still hear the click, turn on all lights, check brake lights, all fuses, relays, specially the ignition fuse. Even if you think all connections are good unplug every plug inspect/clean and re-connect.

Sileighty_85
06-19-2009, 01:28 PM
make sure your engine is grounded enough

OutToWinPAHC
06-19-2009, 01:38 PM
I had that happen on my LS.. Ended up being some corrosion on the solenoid connection. Try cleaning them off, then take it to autozone or something and have them test it.

yukon
06-19-2009, 10:03 PM
Who gives a shit. Atleast he is trying to trouble shoot things himself first unlike half the people on here who just want a magic answer before even attempting anything themselves. Get off his case.

LMAO. you two must must be from vagina sask. seriously, this is not dog river. you dont trouble shoot by replacing parts. anybody who cant trouble shoot an electric motor does not deserve respect. :trogdor:

SR_Vlurs
06-20-2009, 01:12 AM
im having the same prob bro my starter is just clicking once and not starting everything is grounded, changed the battery, also have spark and fuel
and still nothing took out the starter and hook power to it directly and it worked gear came out and spun with some torque behind it but when i put it back on it just clicked once and didn't start ....

VQMaxFan
06-20-2009, 01:30 AM
clutch cut switch or relay?

jyb116
06-20-2009, 11:57 AM
ya i figured the problem out. happended to be the power wire going to the starter was spliced and wasnt give enough power to crank it.

JVD
06-20-2009, 02:32 PM
LMAO. you two must must be from vagina sask. seriously, this is not dog river. you dont trouble shoot by replacing parts. anybody who cant trouble shoot an electric motor does not deserve respect. :trogdor:
STFU.

You're not helping anything. You could have just tried to help the guy out. Everyone's gotta start somewhere.

Unfortunately we're not all born with mechanics knowledge like yourself.

yukon
06-20-2009, 11:26 PM
STFU.

You're not helping anything. You could have just tried to help the guy out. Everyone's gotta start somewhere.

Unfortunately we're not all born with mechanics knowledge like yourself.

dont have children, CANADIAN.

Tantwoforty
06-20-2009, 11:34 PM

you deserve cancer.:down:

JVD
06-21-2009, 01:01 AM
Which reminds me... I should take Canada out of my location because every ignorant American ever, who would be too retarded to know where Alberta is, makes some pathetic stab at Canada.

I'm sure you failed to realize the OP is Canadian as well. Weird hey? How is it living in a bubble?

Oh, and AMERICAN, I just looked through your 32 posts... you don't know what a rear main seal is. Yet you're ragging on this guy for saying he checked his timing? Come on.