PDA

View Full Version : s13 windshield removal

brndck
06-18-2009, 01:10 AM
ok, so ernie has a hud windshield on his coupe that he sold to me.
we need to remove it from his car and install on mine.
called a glass guy to come check it out, he said 50/50 chance it would break on removal. so i said gtfo!

we're considering trying to remove it ourselves and wondered if anyone has any tips/experience with removing an s13 windshield IN ONE PIECE WITH NO CRACKS/DAMAGE.

or maybe we just need to call a different glass guy. i've had glass swapped from one car to another before with no problems. the guy today just seemed less than confident and i didn't wanna mess around with a hud windshield.

CBS
06-18-2009, 01:30 AM
its 50 50

i removed mine and spider cracked it

cxlo8331
06-18-2009, 01:30 AM
give Junior a call.

714-914-8868

i think its standard proceedure to tell you the glass may break.

he told me the same. advised me to buy the front windshield anyway just in case.

fortunately, he was able to save original glass.

brndck
06-18-2009, 01:38 AM
ill call jr in the a.m.
i want someone good to do the job
hud windshields are already rare as eff to find used.

GunmetalSR
06-18-2009, 01:43 AM
yo honestly wats so good about the HUD windshield besides the little film on it

projectRDM
06-18-2009, 07:34 AM
yo honestly wats so good about the HUD windshield besides the little film on it

It's over $3200 new at the dealer. Sure, you can put a piece of tint on a non HUD glass, but it looks janky.

I say 50/50 too, I've pulled several from parts cars, some come out clean, some don't. Trial and error.

Killa_D
06-18-2009, 09:07 AM
lol damn i must of got lucky because i pulled mine with 2 fucking zip tieds lol and a big flat head screwdriver by myself lol.. i say you doing all this for a hud windshield is retarded, just cut a square piece of tint out and stick it on there and your done.

s13silvia123
06-18-2009, 12:07 PM
the last time i took a windsheild i used a filet knife. the rubber crap i replaced it with new ones from those glass repair people. then i cut my self really bad so i stopped

GunmetalSR
06-18-2009, 07:05 PM
ok here is the point i was making.....my friend jus bought a new windshield and said fuck the tint...the hud still works on the regular glas and u can still see it clearly in the day

gt2871r
06-18-2009, 07:10 PM
yeah you definitely dont need any tint for hud to work. you can see it just fine on a regular windshield

Wake
06-18-2009, 07:47 PM
50/50 is like an insurance protocol for them. they have to tell you because no matter how good or careful they are theres still a chance it will crack or break. call around and see if you can get a guy that sounds pretty sure of himself. or try it yourself, i never thought of using a zip tie but i plan on trying a peice of wire out of some romex. just make sure the seal is as broken ass possible before you push on it, and there are plenty of specialty tools avail.

for all of you people without huds you shouldnt talk about how well you can see its nothing like the original

and for you people with it that have tried to find a replacement windsheild you all know how expensive and impossible that can be. i remember about a year ago i was working in a parts store and i used every resource to find one and thats all i could find, one. and it was gone a week later.
there are those of us that tlike the oem goodness that our cars came with.

both of my coupes have HUD and both had cracked windsheilds when i got em
if anyone has one im down to buy it.

brndck
06-18-2009, 08:13 PM
ok here is the point i was making.....my friend jus bought a new windshield and said fuck the tint...the hud still works on the regular glas and u can still see it clearly in the day

yeah you definitely dont need any tint for hud to work. you can see it just fine on a regular windshield

i'm completely aware that it isn't necessary to have a hud windshield.
i'm completely aware that a piece of tint will work just fine.
are you aware that some 240sx owners actually bother doing things properly?
not just ziptie everything they possibly can?

GunmetalSR
06-18-2009, 11:59 PM
i'm completely aware that it isn't necessary to have a hud windshield.
i'm completely aware that a piece of tint will work just fine.
are you aware that some 240sx owners actually bother doing things properly?
not just ziptie everything they possibly can?
yes i am aware but some people arent aware of the hud working without that special windshield
it was just my 2 cents jus in case bc hey i didnt know u didnt hav to hav till my friend said fuck it ill try it

ManoNegra
06-19-2009, 12:07 AM
just a couple of weeks ago we had a glass guy
swap windshields on a couple of cars
friends coupe that was totaled had mint hud glass on it
and the guy took that and put it in his new convertible
then he took the convertible glass and put it into
another friends hatch that had a horizontal crack on his glass
took him about an hour to do both without breaking a sweat
even treated a small nick one the latter one to prevent it from becoming a crack.

EDT007
06-19-2009, 07:27 AM
I read somewhere that sometimes people use guitar string to slice through the molding and glue and just move it in a in-out position all the way around the glass. Goodluck either way!

sked707
06-20-2009, 12:58 PM
I read somewhere that sometimes people use guitar string to slice through the molding and glue and just move it in a in-out position all the way around the glass. Goodluck either way!

I've tried this method but with regular thin wire. It's a bitch tho when you get to the really tight spots. i also tried a cutting blade but you have to be REALLY careful. I've attempted it a few times but failed because the glass ended up fuckin cracking :mad: ...and i'm usually pretty patient with stuff

DALAZ_68
09-19-2009, 06:52 PM
woot thanks search button

well im going thru this with an s14 im taking apart...i guess i need guitar wire...im salvaging the rear glass and qtr glass...the front is already fucked

i was hoping there some over the counter acid or something to kill the sealant...i was thinking

maybe hooking up a wire ot a battery and letting it heat up to take off the glass...what do you guys think?

projectRDM
09-19-2009, 08:39 PM
woot thanks search button

well im going thru this with an s14 im taking apart...i guess i need guitar wire...im salvaging the rear glass and qtr glass...the front is already fucked

i was hoping there some over the counter acid or something to kill the sealant...i was thinking

maybe hooking up a wire ot a battery and letting it heat up to take off the glass...what do you guys think?

You're pulling it just to get it out, it's already broken? Use a regular windshield cutout tool. The sealant just needs to be warm enough to cut easily. It's cake with the right tool.

Maiku240sxS14
09-19-2009, 09:55 PM
Just removed my front window couple weeks ago, ok, i didn't but called some window guy and he removed the window with a wire. He said if you want to keep the window I have to break the molding/seal. It will be 50/50 on the window if you want to keep the molding.

I kept the window but the molding/seal is NOT cheap.

ChampaignSilviaS14
09-19-2009, 11:20 PM
If you have the correct tools, you can really do it fairly easily.

Like people said, the glass guy basically HAS to say that it might break.

As long as the windshield HASN'T been replaced before, (and some shitty glass guy caked a shit ton of urethane under the new one) it should be fairly easy, just take it SUPER slow. I still highly recommend a professional doing it.

mr.lonelys12
09-20-2009, 03:16 PM
if your attempting to do it for your first time... theres no way your gonna get it out without cracking it. its damn near impossible and is an art form. Ive tried a couple times to successfully pull a window out but this was on already cracked windows and they all went to shit. the thin wire guitar string method is a load of crock and a waste of time. red hot think knifes, fail. anythign else except the specialty tool is failure.

you gotta get the special tool that auto glass guys have that cuts it right out. and some suction cups to pull it out.

SUPERSTAR
09-20-2009, 11:37 PM
Well it didnt work. The glass guy cracked my shit. So I need new one. No hud glass for me. I ziptie it all.

DALAZ_68
09-21-2009, 12:39 AM
You're pulling it just to get it out, it's already broken?

no...still clean

if your attempting to do it for your first time... theres no way your gonna get it out without cracking it. its damn near impossible and is an art form. Ive tried a couple times to successfully pull a window out but this was on already cracked windows and they all went to shit. the thin wire guitar string method is a load of crock and a waste of time. red hot think knifes, fail. anythign else except the specialty tool is failure.

you gotta get the special tool that auto glass guys have that cuts it right out. and some suction cups to pull it out.

i personally call BULLSHIT ON YOU

ive already taken off and s14 rear glass using nothing more that the trunk latch wire and going back and forth...worked beautifully...

im asking if there is an easier method to remove without paying someone...its a shell im parting and i need to make profit not loose it...

the only reason i cant do it the same way is because the latch system on tthis one is different...

and i dont feel like ruining the hood latch...

Well it didnt work. The glass guy cracked my shit. So I need new one. No hud glass for me. I ziptie it all.

sorry to hear babe

wats the ziptie method???

if anything piano wire should do well

SUPERSTAR
09-21-2009, 02:15 PM
I don't know the ziptie method. But Piano wire has worked in the past.

DALAZ_68
09-21-2009, 03:11 PM
looks like im headed to music land this weekend...