PDA

View Full Version : Coilpack issues

SleepR 240sx
06-16-2009, 03:16 PM
s13 sr20det
no other relevant mods

So the other day, the little 6 inch rubber line between the metal turbo water line that goes to the back of the head broke and the car overheated but i was able to catch it in time. I have replaced the line however some of the water got into at least one of my coilpacks, the number 4 cyl. It fouled up one of my plugs as well. So i replaced all my plugs because the others needed it anyways. However the ignition fuse kept blowing after running for a few seconds. I disconnected the suspected coilpack and it no longer blows the fuse however when i did this the number one cyl coilpack caught on fire/melted at the plug. By having the last one disconnected was too much voltage sent to the first? I'm trying to get ahold of a new harness and coilpacks, is that my best option?

4x4le
06-17-2009, 09:14 PM
I havent really had any issues with coil packs in order to be able to give you much advice but I do however have 4 coilpacks and a harness for sale since I upgraded to splitfire coilpacks. Mine were in fine working condition when removed and the only issue is actually with the harness where 1 of the ground wires got pulled out. That can be re attached easially however.

teamsprock
06-18-2009, 09:49 AM
Seems very strange and it should not have caught fire, NIssan even recommends disconnecting a coil at a time during a power balance test. I have done this many time with no problems. If it caught fire I am guessing it had some internal damage causing very high resistance turning into very high heat. Scary stuff for sure. Hopefully getting a new harness and coil packs will help.

SleepR 240sx
06-18-2009, 02:10 PM
I have 4 new coilpacks and a harness on the way, should be here in an hour or so actually. Should be the end of it.

SleepR 240sx
06-18-2009, 05:32 PM
Just got the new harness and coilpacks, replaced everything and I'm good to go. Thanks for the help anyways guys.