PDA

View Full Version : I have an idea/ question about the wastegate signal

waynehead05
06-13-2009, 08:32 PM
So on a stock sr setup there's a nipple on the cold pipe for the wastegate.
On a fmic setup some makers have a nipple on the hot pipe.
Only a few aftermarket setups have it way over on the cold pipe.

My question is if the hotpipe side works, can you tap into the turbo outlet pipe for the wastegate signal (s15 t28)? That would be similar to the hotpipe, but even closer to the turbo, so I figure I'd ask.

a little brass tap from home depot is what I had in mind.

aNskY
06-14-2009, 06:07 AM
youre not going to get enough threads into a ic pipe without a bung. here's an idea.. put it in your compressor housing.

waynehead05
06-14-2009, 08:58 PM
^ That's pretty much what I was wondering. either in the compressor housing itself, or the turbo outlet pipe, that leads to the hot pipe.

redsx13
06-15-2009, 01:15 AM
So on a stock sr setup there's a nipple on the cold pipe for the wastegate.
On a fmic setup some makers have a nipple on the hot pipe.
Only a few aftermarket setups have it way over on the cold pipe.

My question is if the hotpipe side works, can you tap into the turbo outlet pipe for the wastegate signal (s15 t28)? That would be similar to the hotpipe, but even closer to the turbo, so I figure I'd ask.

a little brass tap from home depot is what I had in mind.

thats what i did. it works fine, i just threaded it in.

obsolete
06-15-2009, 07:07 AM
lol this "idea" has been around for so long

teamsprock
06-16-2009, 10:50 AM
Yes its very common to run the wastegate signal from the compressor housing or hot pipe. As obsolete said this is nothing new. For people that don't want to drill and tap ATP turbo also sells a fitting that punches a hole in a coupler to make for a vacuum sorce. I'd rather drill and tap the compressor and always do it that way but just throwing it out there for people looking for a cheap simple way to do this.

Here's mine from a few years ago.
http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f59/TS4l/IMG_2906.jpg

waynehead05
06-18-2009, 12:12 AM
I see. On lots of aftermarket turbos I see that they come with that tap in them, but not on a stock s15 turbo. I'll do the outlet pipe so I don't have to take the turbo off. I'll just unbolt it and snag a new gasket.