PDA

View Full Version : Tire, what do you like??

gfisch
04-07-2003, 03:24 PM
I'm lookin to get some new tires(and wheels while I'm at it)

Just was lookin to see what people are using and what they like.
So far, it looks like I am going to get the Bridgestone Potenza S03's

Anyone else have these? Care to share your experiences. Both for normal, everyday driving and performance(auto-x, etc.)

Thanks,
Greg

Halz
04-07-2003, 06:30 PM
Falken Azenis, hands down. ~$60 per tire, excellent grip in dry and some water.. just the cost of the tire makes it worth it

the head
04-07-2003, 06:56 PM
my dad has S03's on his car they handle well are rather quiet and seem to last well
i have A032R's on my daily driver and even though they are noisey i really like them as a street tire

AceInHole
04-07-2003, 08:26 PM
I have Dunlop Sp Sport FM901's and they aren't bad. Been running on them for about 10k miles and they still seem as good as new. Hoping they'll last a few more AutoX events untill I can get Azenis for dedicated race usage. The FM901's are great in the rain, though, and are very predictable and forgiving, where my Khumo Ecsta Supra's would break on me whenever I needed them most. An example of this would be heading into a turnaround at an autox. Going in heavy on the brakes while trying to rotate the car, the Dunlops let me "feel" if I'm on the brakes too hard or steering too much, while the Khumo's would just break off. Might've been because the Khumo's were already balding/ hardening on me though.... overall I definitely like the Dunlops more.

RBS14
04-07-2003, 08:38 PM
if you've got the $$ to throw down for a set of SO-3's then by all means do so. if you can get SO-2's, they are even better in the dry than the SO-3's. Pilot sports are also great tires. Toyo makes great tires too. the stickier they are..........the sooner you will need to buy new ones.

adey
04-08-2003, 02:35 AM
I run FM-901s (205/55/15) now, but had Bridgestone S02s (205/55/16) not long ago... of the two, bridgestones are infamous for wet traction, but I've found FM901s to be alright as well. In my experience, FM901s are by no means "good", but "acceptable."

The Dunlops aren't quite as sticky as the S02s (even though I overheated the S-02s, they still gripped well), but already very grippy. The FM901s do tend to be louder (give more audible warning) and also have *much* softer sidewalls than the S02s. However, they also have less road noise than the S02s.
Both tires have VERY good dry traction, I think the S02s may be a tad stickier... but it may also be attributable to the low tread that was left when I sold the 16" wheels. The FM-901s seem easeir to lock up, but marginally.

My only gripe with the S02s is their lower treadwear (acceptable, though, at 180) and their loud freeway noise.