PDA

View Full Version : Fuel cut on deceleration?

Sixbanger
04-05-2003, 12:11 AM
Hey, I know some cars' EFI systems cut the fuel when you are decelerating, or engine braking down a hill. Does the 240 do this? I'm mainly interested in 96+ obd2 cars...

sykikchimp
04-05-2003, 01:41 PM
I don't believe they did this in the 5-speed, but they might have programmed it in the Auto if you were in a lower gear or something.. I've never heard about it, but that doesn't mean it doesn't exsist.

AKADriver
04-05-2003, 06:50 PM
I think that's a pretty standard thing for an injected engine to do, since there's no fuel demand when the throttle is closed (except at idle).

sykikchimp
04-06-2003, 12:44 AM
just cause the throttle plate is closed doesn't mean air doesn't get in the combustion chamber..

I would think under engine braking when your RPM's are above normal idle you are consuming more air/fuel due to rpm being higher.. this would require more fuel or else you may cause detonation. Seems that cutting fuel with higher rpms while engine braking could cause engine failure.

Am I completely off base here?

just curious.. what circumstances cause you to ask this question sixbanger?

AKADriver
04-06-2003, 01:22 AM
A small amount of air is getting in via the idle control circuit, pretty much, but if you have a boost/vac gauge you'll see vacuum shoot up to -14.7 psi more or less with the throttle off. A bit of vacuum is lost to the vacuum operated accessories.

No fuel = no detonation! With no fuel moving through a spinning engine it's just acting as an air pump.

You need fuel to spin the engine at idle because the engine is under the load of... itself. At deceleration the engine is under negative load, the engine is being spun by the momentum of the car.

Someone with something like an S-AFC should chime in here, doesn't that display injector duty cycle?

Sixbanger
04-06-2003, 03:26 AM
just curious.. what circumstances cause you to ask this question sixbanger?

Nothing really, just interested. I tend to coast down a lot of hills and with gas being expensive these days, I was wondering if I save more by staying in gear or keeping the car in neutral and killing my brakes. Not that I can't afford the extra gas or anything.