PDA

View Full Version : question about a blown headgasket

shanes14
05-29-2009, 06:33 PM
ive had trouble getting my junkyard motor to run right and as soon as i give up and sell the shell it was in i find oil in my coolant. first thing that comes to my mind is the head gasket is blown. go figure its the last time i pull the engine out. i just pulled the head off of it and the head gasket doesnt seem to be in bad condition. there are some darker areas where it looks like oil seeped to, and dried coolant under the bottom of the head, but i cant seem to find where it is blown at.

my question is: is it normal to not be able to find exactly where it is blown at unlike other gaskets?

SoguRacing
05-29-2009, 06:40 PM
well, typically when you get oil in your coolant is when there is an oil cooler inside of your radiator and it springs a leak. if your head gasket looks ok maybe you have a cracked block. i dont know of 240's having an oil cooler in the radiator.

dmax_silvia_s13
05-29-2009, 06:45 PM
Who cares? Just throw a new one on.

shanes14
05-29-2009, 06:47 PM
Who cares? Just throw a new one on.

lol im going to, i just wanted to see if there was anything else i should be concerned about while i have the head off and the engine out.

SoguRacing
05-29-2009, 06:53 PM
check for scratches on the head and the block decks. maybe upgrade the valvetrain..it's not too hard to do. look at the valves themselves and look for carbon build up where the valve seats in the head.

shanes14
05-29-2009, 07:11 PM
there was a ton of carbon buildup, guessing because i drove it and ran it for a while tryin to find the problem. no bent valves or anything tho

Pacman
05-29-2009, 07:19 PM
Have the head pressure tested at the machine shop. They can find cracks that way. It could also be pourous metal. I have seen where the gasket blows but not show, its usually the metal type, though. Check deck flatness when the head is removed and deck is clean. Make sure that the head is flat as well, a warped head and good gasket will make it not look 'blown'.

Don't just 'thorw a new one on'. Take the steps to diagnose why theres a mix of oil/coolant. I doubt the block is cracked.

sr20sean
05-29-2009, 09:48 PM
is it auto or manual?
old auto tranny fluid looks simmilar to oil and theres the transmission cooler in the radiator so the radiator could be cracked?

shanes14
05-30-2009, 05:37 PM
its manual. am i going to have to take the valves and everything out to get it pressure tested? or just take the complete head up to a machine shop?

jr_ss
05-30-2009, 07:53 PM
Pull the cams out, all the valves will close then. Have the head milled slightly to insure a good flat surface.

Pacman
06-01-2009, 02:09 PM
Pull the cams out, all the valves will close then. Have the head milled slightly to insure a good flat surface.

Don't forget the shims/buckets, and don't get them mixed up!!! Have the machine shop install new valve seals when you get it machined smooth. Take everything off thats outside (sensors, brackets, etc) and leave the valves, springs, etc on. A lot of times the machine shop won't send things like that back with the head. Make sure you adjust your valves at that time as well!!!

shanes14
06-01-2009, 02:44 PM
i got everything out except the valves. you have to take the cams out to remove the head. but ill make a round to the machine shop and see the price. thanks for everyones input.