PDA

View Full Version : Turbo boost!

-luong.
05-26-2009, 01:34 PM
Hey guys finally got my car running great . Took it for a drive and it was hella quick. then I looked at the guage and its boosting 30psi for stock internals!! omg. and the external wasgate is set up for a 8psi spring.. wtf right? well there is no way I am going to drive lke this lol. Could I possibly connect a manual boost controller to lower the boost? i might of mixed the vacuum line bu i dought it since i got boost. but here is what she looks like http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h118/tonyguy605/IMG_1486.jpg
http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h118/tonyguy605/IMG_1488.jpg

JVD
05-26-2009, 01:36 PM
You mixed up the vacuum lines.

Not sure how that one needs to be hooked up.

landins13
05-26-2009, 01:51 PM
sounds like the wastegate isnt connected at all, because its def not opening. boost controlers cant make boost go any less than the spring in the wastegate

-luong.
05-26-2009, 01:51 PM
You mixed up the vacuum lines.

Not sure how that one needs to be hooked up.
so even if i mixed the 2 lines i would still get boost?

-luong.
05-26-2009, 01:54 PM
sounds like the wastegate isnt connected at all, because its def not opening. boost controlers cant make boost go any less than the spring in the wastegate

Thanks. At the end of my exchaust manifold where I hooke up the wastegate. I put
1. gasket
2. The metal round ring
3.wasgate then tighten it in
4. then the dump pipe.

JVD
05-26-2009, 02:01 PM
so even if i mixed the 2 lines i would still get boost?
Do you have a boost controller, or no?

I misread the first post.

And ya, if the wastegate isn't hooked to the correct source it's not going to open up. It will just stay shut and build infinite boost.

-luong.
05-26-2009, 02:10 PM
Do you have a boost controller, or no?

I misread the first post.

And ya, if the wastegate isn't hooked to the correct source it's not going to open up. It will just stay shut and build infinite boost.

Yes i do have a boost controller but it is no use since im not upping boost. I thought it would lower but im wrong. Yes infinite boost =(
Im pretty sure the top is for a vacumm source and the bottom is for the turbo housing, which is counting the 8psi if im correct. As of now the boost pressure silenoid is running and i dont knwo if thers a pint in running it with this system, by anychance would you know the order on how to instal the wastegate. . it sounds simple but i dont know if i installed the basket ring correctly
Thanks

-luong.
05-26-2009, 05:07 PM
I think my installation for it was wrong. i recirculate the lates and unlplug the boost pressure silonoid and still get hight #'s Could anyone tell me a right up . i dont even think its opening

GSXRJJordan
05-26-2009, 05:33 PM
Correct, your wastegate isn't opening. You need a vacuum line from the throttle body going to the wastegate.

-luong.
05-26-2009, 06:13 PM
well it worked. i just took the canister vacuum and use that souce. wastegate opens but still boost really high . unless my gauge is wrong.

-luong.
05-26-2009, 08:19 PM
Heres where i got the waste gate and the info on it
GODSPEED 38MM GT-SERIES WASTEGATE [38wg] - $120.00 : GodSpeed Project, The Art of Performance (http://www.godspeedproject.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=2&products_id=7&zenid=a4cbea5d1bbdb7c3b556b3ed8f8792a2)

GSXRJJordan
05-26-2009, 09:09 PM
What's "really high"? Higher than the wastegate spring?

-luong.
05-26-2009, 09:22 PM
What's "really high"? Higher than the wastegate spring? theres a 7psi spring . its boosting up to 30psi when i hit up to 6g.

GSXRJJordan
05-26-2009, 09:31 PM
That means your wastegate isn't opening. At all. You claim to have a vacuum source plugged into the wastegate, but it's truly a simple device... there's only one way to fuck it up...

-luong.
05-26-2009, 09:43 PM
That means your wastegate isn't opening. At all. You claim to have a vacuum source plugged into the wastegate, but it's truly a simple device... there's only one way to fuck it up...
Ive tested the waste gate on my compresser.connect to turbo housing. as for vacuum source, its connected to the bent nosel below the throdddle body. there also a T fitting on it that goes to the Boost pressure silinoid.

Ill drive around 3g to 4g and let the gass off. i can hear the quiet waste gate cha cha cha. not the bov.

GSXRJJordan
05-26-2009, 11:00 PM
Haha, that's not the wastegate - you don't "hear" the wastegate open, you just hear the exhaust get louder.

Connect the wastegate directly to the throttle body, your boost control solenoid is obviously open, not letting your wastegate open.

-luong.
05-27-2009, 12:09 AM
Haha, that's not the wastegate - you don't "hear" the wastegate open, you just hear the exhaust get louder.

Connect the wastegate directly to the throttle body, your boost control solenoid is obviously open, not letting your wastegate open.
sdifhasfl oh fuck.. damm alright so basically disconnect the lines to the boost solenoid, and unplug it ?(just to be sure)

GSXRJJordan
05-27-2009, 12:57 AM
Connect a line directly from the throttle body to the wastegate actuator. Don't connect the boost control solenoid to anything. Once that works, you can verify operation of the boost control solenoid separately.

-luong.
05-27-2009, 01:16 AM
Connect a line directly from the throttle body to the wastegate actuator. Don't connect the boost control solenoid to anything. Once that works, you can verify operation of the boost control solenoid separately. Will do this first thing in the moring and I'll get back to you. I've seen system run without the boost solenoid, but Im not sure If thats a great idea.. Thanks again gszrjjordan:bow:

-luong.
05-27-2009, 03:45 PM
All the vacumm was correct in the first set up. but still boosted high so i took it off.It was all black and the dumptipe too. Test the compression to my guage and to the wastgate. theres a 30psi spring in it.. so now im searching around for a 7psi spring

GSXRJJordan
05-27-2009, 03:47 PM
How did you test the "compression to the gauge and wastegate"? The way I've tested them is with a bicycle pump and just see when it starts to open, but there aren't many pumps I've seen that'll do 30psi... did you use an air compressor or what?

-luong.
05-27-2009, 04:10 PM
yah i used an air compressor. small one with an adapter , that can ease the air so its like a bike pump. took alot more effort to oopen it up. as for the guage. it was flying to 30 with the same pressure, not sure where i can get a spring tho

-luong.
05-27-2009, 10:01 PM
Finally. problem solved. Thanks again bud

MandTPhotography
05-27-2009, 10:03 PM
Holy crap, 30lb wastegate spring?...haha.

Also, I'm surprised your motor didn't explode.