PDA

View Full Version : Retarted HUD/Speedo

Impact
10-17-2001, 05:12 PM
Just a few weeks ago after I removed my Weapon R filter to return the factory air box, the HUD/speedo seems to be going wack on me.

At times(now which is rare) the HUD/speedo is okay and is showing...but now whenever I turn the car on.....*BLANK*..I depend on "THE FEELING" of knowing how fast Im going...

Maybe I have to reset the ECU or  is it a short out, and have to replace the module?? Anyone???

S13Grl
10-17-2001, 06:51 PM
Mine only works for five seconds at start-up. I'll probably try resetting my ECU as well. I don't know what to tell you though...

Impact
10-17-2001, 09:56 PM
####...dont wanna spend 100's

Impact
10-18-2001, 05:03 AM
How do you reset the ecu and for how long? Any negative effects if done so..

10-18-2001, 11:28 PM
actually reseting the ecu will not have any effect. (at least im pretty sure of this) my 89-90 240 had an intermittent problem also. first you need to check your speedo gear if you have a manual it will tell you how if not its something like this but i dont rtemeber. take it out attach it to a drill and a woltmeter to the connections spin it you should get a voltage reading i beleive somewhere around 5-6 volts (the spec i am not sure of but i can check if needed) second take a look @ ur pinion gear look for any teeth missing if thats not that case then it may be your wiring. you need to check for continuity. i would only and i mean only replace the hud unit if i actually found out it was the cause. its not only a 100 bucks its close to a grand i beleive.

you will have 2 wires for your speedo gears coming from your harness in your cluster ( on mine from what i remeber it was a yellow with blue and the other i dont remeber but take  a look at the colors on your speedo gear i beleive they are the same) then you just have to break it down as to wear in your schematic is the section of wire that has a open. or for an easy way out take two wires run them both to the speedo gear and raise your rear wheels accelerate and see if your getting a speed reading. if you are try disconnecting one of them and if it still works then you know its not that wire that has a open. try the other one if it doesnt work then thats the one thats open.

if you need any more help just email me