PDA

View Full Version : So I took my car to get smogged and it bombed it bad...

dsmdeliveryboy
05-24-2009, 10:17 PM
Well I just bought a 89 240 off a buddy and he did KADE swap in it but ran out of umph to finish it so I picked it up to finish it and have it as a DD. Well I got the car and did all the routine maintenance on it and changed the plugs and wires and it seemed like it was running alot better so I was confident it would pass... Well, I took it in and the timing was off by 10 degrees and somehow its a gross polluter now... Well now I'm kind of off on what to do about getting it to pass, I'm gonna fix the timing and I bought "guaranteed to pass" and put it in my tank but the car is acting kind of funny. When I start the car when its cold it runs really rough and kinda misfires and runs rich but one it warms up it gets a little better but acts up every one in awhile still. What should I look at about getting it to pass? The motor is all stock, it just has a catback exhaust. Any help would be appreciated, I need to get this car on the road.

S-Nation S13
05-24-2009, 11:44 PM
post numbers they usually can tell where you failed at pm me dont worry you can fix it trust me i remember when i was in your position

mrmephistopheles
05-25-2009, 12:28 AM
89 240
KADE

did maintenance: plugs and wires
timing off by 10 degrees

There, that's better.

First fix timing. It will fail automatically for the timing being more than 2 degrees from stock.

Next, post the numbers you got from the smog station.

Also, make sure your air filter is clean and that you're not throwing any codes. Did your friend correctly connect all of the wiring for the Check Engine light as well as all ancillary smog equipment?

dsmdeliveryboy
05-25-2009, 10:42 AM
Ok I need to hook my scanner up and I'll post it up.

Ya I had to hook up the smog stuff for the exhaust, it had headers on there that weren't smog legal so I put the OE manifold back on and connected all the EGR stuff etc and checked all the vacuum lines. One thing that sucks is when I took it to have it smogged he said the timing was supposed to be 15 degrees(ka24e timing) but when I checked what my timing is supposed to be I found out its supposed to be 18-20 so thats another problem... I'm just worried its gonna be something super expensive to fix or like I'm not gonna be able to get it to pass.. Kind of discouraged lol

hOngsterr
05-25-2009, 10:47 AM
lol i have a 89 hatch with a DE.
was in ur position with my emissions torn off
and 02 sensors welded in.
i knew there was no way in hell i was gunna pass,
and did under the table work for 150
and what do you know.
my car's legal lol

dsmdeliveryboy
05-25-2009, 09:05 PM
Well I went to do the timing today and came to the conclusion that I think the timing chain might be off a tooth or two... When I was moving the distributor towards me to get it where it should be it would only move so far and wont move any closer to me now and the timing is jumping around a little. And I did remember to undo the TPS sensor when I did it. But I did get the timing a little bit better, now it atleast idles at the right RPM instead of it idling at 1,000rpm like it was.

ryguy
05-25-2009, 11:16 PM
Did you ever have the distributor off at any point in time?

dsmdeliveryboy
05-26-2009, 01:18 PM
Did you ever have the distributor off at any point in time?

The distributor is brand new

ryguy
05-26-2009, 08:08 PM
The distributor is brand new

The entire distributor itself or just the cap? Make sure it's in the hole right, not a tooth off.

dsmdeliveryboy
05-26-2009, 08:31 PM
The entire thing, the car is at my parents I'm gonna give it a try next time I'm there.

repda916
05-27-2009, 11:57 PM
1) spend money fixing your probelm + money for another smog
2) spend the money fixing the problem on a "smog job";) and pass

dsmdeliveryboy
05-28-2009, 06:12 PM
Well my parents are forcing me to sell the car because they don't think its going to pass smog.. And they're probably right, now that its a GP its gonna be impossible to get it to pass. Bleh

repda916
05-28-2009, 09:07 PM
it can be something as little as a cat.

ryguy
05-28-2009, 11:57 PM
Or a bad EGR. What failed? NOx?

dsmdeliveryboy
05-29-2009, 11:12 AM
It wasn't burning fuel all the way and running rich, it was 10 times over what its allowed to be on like everything. And since it has the dual cam swap in it it has the dual cam gauge cluster as well and theres a check engine light on it and my buddy with a single cam said there isnt a check engine light on the single cam one and thats another thing I got marked off for.

dsmdeliveryboy
06-01-2009, 10:18 PM
So i have a dual cam gauge cluster in there, and it has a check engine light but the car originally doesn't have one. Also under the hood it says the timing should be 15 but the dual cam needs to be 18 to 20, how do you fix these to pass smog in CA?

drifterdave
06-02-2009, 03:23 AM
james fix the timming, buy a new cat. put it on the day of the test run the shit out of the car right before the test. and then lmk how things go, usally if u through a new cat on and then test the car u should pass no problems...just make sure the cat is nice and toasty. like subway style.. lol

dsmdeliveryboy
06-02-2009, 09:03 PM
but still what am i gonna do about the check engine light??

S13Silvia917
06-03-2009, 04:25 PM
but still what am i gonna do about the check engine light??

dont they automatically fail you for the check engine light??

hOngsterr
06-03-2009, 05:14 PM
yeah they do,
just get it done under the table.
jeeez.

dsmdeliveryboy
06-03-2009, 05:38 PM
yeah they do,
just get it done under the table.
jeeez.

How am I supposed to get a GP done under the table? There's only 2 places here in town that smog GP's..

dsmdeliveryboy
06-04-2009, 05:00 PM
Can't I just show them that the 89-90 240's don't have a check engine light? And say I just changed out my gauge cluster with that because it broke and this one was cheaper? Also, I need to know what to do about the timing... Don't they look up what the timing should be for the motor? the sohc is 15 and the dohc is 18-20 im pretty sure...

DreamN
06-04-2009, 06:31 PM
Currently your car will never pass legally. You haven't gone through the proper process of legalizing that engine in your car.

dsmdeliveryboy
06-05-2009, 11:16 AM
Currently your car will never pass legally. You haven't gone through the proper process of legalizing that engine in your car.
So how would I go about doing that?:duh:

wrxn240
06-19-2009, 06:11 PM
Can't I just show them that the 89-90 240's don't have a check engine light? And say I just changed out my gauge cluster with that because it broke and this one was cheaper? Also, I need to know what to do about the timing... Don't they look up what the timing should be for the motor? the sohc is 15 and the dohc is 18-20 im pretty sure...

I think you were referring to CA model SOHCs as 89-90's do come with a check engine light...I'm just going to wire a little orange light behind my cluster and switch it on and off as I'm starting my car :spank:

dsmdeliveryboy
06-20-2009, 12:59 PM
I think you were referring to CA model SOHCs as 89-90's do come with a check engine light...I'm just going to wire a little orange light behind my cluster and switch it on and off as I'm starting my car :spank:

That won't work Jason because they do something with the fusebox to trip the check engine light from there to make sure people don't do stuff like that.

wrxn240
06-22-2009, 04:52 AM
I'm pretty sure something is just disconnected behind the guages.

dsmdeliveryboy
06-26-2009, 08:48 AM
I'm pretty sure something is just disconnected behind the guages.

I'd check, he said most of the time lights are burned out because theyre on all the time or something but I didn't feel like tearing the dash apart.

831payupv8
06-30-2009, 06:56 PM
your timming is good at 15 degrees you get 3 degrees to play with. DO NOT just put a cat on it it still wont pass. what gas did it fail? HC CO NOx? check you air injection sometimes the reed valves fail and pump exhaust gases into the air box.does the check engine light not light up when you turn the key on? because it should have a check engine light look to see if the under hood label says obd exempt that means it shouldnt have a check engine light but it should have one. what about your O2 sensor that could be bad.but get your timming right that will make a huge difference be careful because when you fix the hi co and hc it will sometimes raise the nox.you reall should post the report

dsmdeliveryboy
06-30-2009, 08:58 PM
your timming is good at 15 degrees you get 3 degrees to play with. DO NOT just put a cat on it it still wont pass. what gas did it fail? HC CO NOx? check you air injection sometimes the reed valves fail and pump exhaust gases into the air box.does the check engine light not light up when you turn the key on? because it should have a check engine light look to see if the under hood label says obd exempt that means it shouldnt have a check engine light but it should have one. what about your O2 sensor that could be bad.but get your timming right that will make a huge difference be careful because when you fix the hi co and hc it will sometimes raise the nox.you reall should post the report

I don't have the car anymore, its chill.

miklos
09-09-2009, 04:05 AM
I went to Test Only and all Visual passed but my NO at 15mph was 3652 and at 25mph it was 3045. This was tested in California. My cat is 2 years old.

The odd thing is if I join the 2 vacuum lines going to the AIV--the car idles 100rpm higher and much smoother.

Tantwoforty
09-09-2009, 06:13 AM
lol i have a 89 hatch with a DE.
was in ur position with my emissions torn off
and 02 sensors welded in.
i knew there was no way in hell i was gunna pass,
and did under the table work for 150
and what do you know.
my car's legal lol
so when i got it tested it put my car in the system as a gross polluter, do i have to legally pass now?