PDA

View Full Version : octane boosters, xylene

handinpants
05-24-2009, 07:24 PM
I have been reading about fuel and octane boosting because my Sr keeps eating tons of gas, and not getting the right performance.

What I have found out is those little bottles sold at vatozone are pretty much good ways of wasting your money, they only raise your octane levels 2 or 3 points, when added to 91 octane it brings it to 91.3 octane.

I know the ingredients in those bottles are either xylene and tuolene, and some filler, so I have begun experimenting with xylene, I had 8 gallons of 91 octane in my tank, and I added 2 gallons (about 20%) of xylene to my tank, and have gotten fantastic results so far.
Xylene is 118 octane and tuolene is 114 octane, when you add 20% of xylene to the gas tank, your octane goes up to about 97 octane, and 30% is roughly 100 octane.
A gallon of xylene costs about $10.49 at sherwin Williams paint store, and may vary from area.
Also please note that I am not running a catalytic converter, running this may damage yours.

I will note that my engine is running happy, and is really boost friendly.

homermartinez1
05-24-2009, 08:17 PM
now you should put it on the dyno with and without it and see what kind of numbers you get. Good find though!

s13silvia123
05-24-2009, 08:26 PM
goood shiiiit i was thinking of doing the same thing but afriad of doing cause i wouldnt know what happens until someone really tries it.

i guess you used your own car as a guinea pig LOL

good work man.

slider2828
05-24-2009, 08:42 PM
really? wow? Give it a couple of runs and let me know how your plugs look like. this is interesting

MongolPup
05-24-2009, 08:49 PM
NOTE: This post is NOT negative, but if you cannot handle questions DO NOT READ IT. That way I don't have to listen to people bitching me out for being a "negative nancy". I'm as excited as anyone else and am anxious to see how it turns out long term. I ran it past my chemist father and these are the questions/concerns he had:

Does xylene burn hotter or colder compared to gasoline? Can everything (lines, gas tank etc) hold up to it? The material that makes our fuel lines is designed for certain characteristics of fuel. How does the pump like it?

They use that stuff in paint strippers and glue as a solvent (btw so help you god if you get any on your paint). I would think you'd have serious problems since you can't fine tune combustion and xylene certainly behaves differently than gas. And you are FUCKED if you get into a serious wreck, you think gasoline is flammable.....

jamg
05-24-2009, 09:01 PM
has anyone tired putting pure acetone in your gas?

s13 @ fullboost
05-24-2009, 09:53 PM
ha next time you go to will bring a shit load of containers and fill em up with there pump race gas

mdcrose
05-24-2009, 11:15 PM
If you are running xylene you need to add in 2 ounces of two stroke oil or ATF per gallon of xylene because it lacks lubricant properties and is very abrasive.

landins13
05-24-2009, 11:34 PM
when you add 20% of xylene to the gas tank, your octane goes up to about 97 octane, and 30% is roughly 100 octane.

dude you are one of the few people on here i talk to on the regular and serioulsy you just need to move to baltimore, work shit out with your ex and move out here. There is a sunoco about 15 min from my house that sells 103 on the pump for 3.75 a gallon and any other race fuel you would want they have in 5 and 50 gallon drums in stock

either way thats a pretty cool way to get some extra octane where its unavailable

KoukiMonsta
05-24-2009, 11:35 PM
this shit sounds like a bad idea to me...but what do i kno.....

landins13
05-24-2009, 11:38 PM
has anyone tired putting pure acetone in your gas?

ive got a friend who runs on corn alcohol he stills himself. ive also got a friend whos been running his f350 on filtered used trans fluid for 6 months without problem and to answer your question. there is a guy named evon with a 6 second grand national who used to street race on straight acetone. it royally f'ed his fuel lines but it worked.

handinpants
05-25-2009, 02:01 AM
all the info i got was pretty straight forward, and can be found on What kinda octane boost do u use? Toulene? Xylene? etc.? - RX7Club.com (http://www.rx7club.com/showthread.php?t=339648)

which from what i understand both xylene, and tuolene are commonly used in gasoline, especially race. and My school book for fuel systems also mentions that these chemicals are used to boost octane levels.
if worse comes to worse, i build a new motor, and try again.
but thanks to ericcastro, i just added 5 gallons of 104 octane CP fuel to my tank, he's got a killer deal on 5 gallon containers

DreamN
05-25-2009, 02:15 AM
either way thats a pretty cool way to get some extra octane where its unavailable

Who said it's not available? Plenty of places actually sell 100+ octane gasoline in California.

There's a place not 10 min. away from that sells 104 octane and another spot about 20-25 min. away from me that sells 100 octane.

Just have to know where to go.

Steve, just search places that sell high octane. There are several in your area if I remember correctly.

M [ ] T Ll R l< 49
05-25-2009, 02:27 AM
yeap hey steve how much is it There on Barrington And Pico
i know they have race fuel there i do not remember the octane lever there but i got it once on my subaru lol just for fun
there wasn't really a big difference just got like a little more MPG

Who said it's not available? Plenty of places actually sell 100+ octane gasoline in California.

There's a place not 10 min. away from that sells 104 octane and another spot about 20-25 min. away from me that sells 100 octane.

Just have to know where to go.

Steve, just search places that sell high octane. There are several in your area if I remember correctly.

slider2828
05-25-2009, 10:53 AM
There is a VP Racing that sells 93 and 100 2 blocks down my house. Its getting more common.

singlecamslam
05-25-2009, 11:02 AM
I have never seen one in sacramento. I"m gonna google it.

aNskY
05-25-2009, 05:35 PM
VP is only like 6.50/g, why would you spend 11/g on paint thinner?

you want cheap insurance, get a meth/water injection kit. windshield washer fluid is ~50% methanol.

Jonnie Fraz
05-26-2009, 09:46 AM
I have never seen one in sacramento. I"m gonna google it.

76 @Watt and Marconi, I want to say it is like $7.00/Gal

To the OP you might want to check your figures. I have read an article on this and it suggests that even if you go to 30% Toluene you would only bring 91 octane to 95.5. This is using Rocket brand 99% pure gasoline grade toluene, not Sherwin Williams brand.
Not trying to be a butthead, and if you are able to get more boot for your application...sweet!

landins13
05-26-2009, 10:35 AM
76 @Watt and Marconi, I want to say it is like $7.00/Gal

To the OP you might want to check your figures. I have read an article on this and it suggests that even if you go to 30% Toluene you would only bring 91 octane to 95.5. This is using Rocket brand 99% pure gasoline grade toluene, not Sherwin Williams brand.
Not trying to be a butthead, and if you are able to get more boot for your application...sweet!

he said hes experimenting with xylene not toluene the characteristics are different between the two. xylene is more combustable where as toluene is more stable and less abrasive, usually its a good idea to mix the two in order to get a more stable and less corrosive mix

Jonnie Fraz
05-26-2009, 11:10 AM
he said hes experimenting with xylene not toluene the characteristics are different between the two. xylene is more combustable where as toluene is more stable and less abrasive, usually its a good idea to mix the two in order to get a more stable and less corrosive mix

Fair enough. Sounds like a good combo with gas as low as it is this mix is about the same as buying race gas at the 30% mix.

smelly240
05-26-2009, 02:24 PM
We use xylene to open pores in tires to add fun stuff. ;) my dad is a tire chemical genious.

Old bastard cant spell for shit but he knows about chemicals he cant hardly pronounce.

handinpants
05-26-2009, 04:11 PM
yes i can get 100 octane too, its like $9.49 a gallon at that 76 on barrington/ pico, and $7.50/ g up in the valley, but mixing 100 with 91, still will not bring my octane up to the level i want. but xylene will.

hottscennessey
05-26-2009, 04:46 PM
My own personal experience with this is, first.
As previously mentioned. Make sure your fuel lines, injector, and fuel pump are all capable of handling this chemical. Most pumps, lines and injectors compatible with E85 are also compatible with these other chemicals, because ethanol is very corrosive.

Another thing, power per molecule. The same reason you can't safely put E85 into your gastank and go rag on your car. You'll lean it out. It takes much more ethanol to achieve the same AFR as it would on a petrol car. The easiest way to test this, is just make sure you're not leaning out with a WBO2.

There is also the possibility of making less power with more octane, because it takes more energy to combust the mixture, and ultimately there is also a lower combustion temperature. The reason you'd see the best results are if your car is currently pulling timing, because it's knocking, and with the extra octane, it is able to advance timing.

just my .02.

S14DB
05-26-2009, 04:50 PM
I still don't understand how this is going to increase your fuel economy. Are you denotnating now? what is your afr's?

fromxtor
05-26-2009, 05:04 PM
http://www.elektro.com/~audi/audi/toluene.html

Theres a lot of info here.^^

And here on this subject>> toulene in gas - Yahoo! Search Results (http://search.yahoo.com/search;_ylt=A0geu_TgdBxKWC8Ar2RXNyoA?p=toulene+in+ gas&fr=yfp-t-313&fr2=sb-top&sao=3)

GSXRJJordan
05-26-2009, 05:22 PM
This is fucking stupid.

You have a stock SR, that's not running right, and you think putting higher octane (with LOWER power/molecule) is going to make it run stronger? It's actually running cooler and making less power with those additives.

Race gas DOES NOT give a street-tuned motor more power - you have to tune it to USE the extra stability, THEN it'll make more power/run how you want.

WTF.

S14DB
05-26-2009, 05:35 PM
This is fucking stupid.

You have a stock SR, that's not running right, and you think putting higher octane (with LOWER power/molecule) is going to make it run stronger? It's actually running cooler and making less power with those additives.

Race gas DOES NOT give a street-tuned motor more power - you have to tune it to USE the extra stability, THEN it'll make more power/run how you want.

WTF.

Naw man, Octane = powar! Duh!

aNskY
05-26-2009, 06:13 PM
maybe im missing something... where did he say he say his sr isnt running right, or that it's stock? his first post said his motor is running strong

GSXRJJordan
05-26-2009, 06:23 PM
maybe im missing something... where did he say he say his sr isnt running right, or that it's stock? his first post said his motor is running strong

From the first sentence of the first post.

...because my Sr keeps eating tons of gas, and not getting the right performance...

Def
05-26-2009, 06:30 PM
The blending octane in lower(<30%) concentrations of xylene/toluene is around 103-104 octane when used with pump gas. It is not a pure algebraic equation on octane increase by taking the pure octane of the "booster" and pump gas when dealing with these aromatics.

Race gas seems a cheaper way to do it really...

ericcastro
05-26-2009, 06:37 PM
I believe steve also has a tune for higher octane gas. round 100 octane I think.
He bought my 25 gallons of 104 :)

handinpants
05-26-2009, 07:05 PM
I believe steve also has a tune for higher octane gas. round 100 octane I think.
He bought my 25 gallons of 104 :)

yeah, my car goes

handinpants
05-26-2009, 07:11 PM
This is fucking stupid.

WTF.

i never said i have a stock sr, nor did i say i have a stock tune, it was eating a lot of gas, and not getting the right performance, by my figures, i think i was just getting used to the performance of the vehicle when running 91 octane, cause it is like night and day, i can run my 91 octane tune, and its fast, and then i can fill it up with 104 octane and it runs hella fast. I think it's getting around 200 miles to the 15gallon tank due to my unablility to not run boost, which i seem to do every time i drive. with the xylene, and or the 104 octane it runs alot smoother with the higher octane, and when i run that 104 with my other fuel/ timing map, it's goood.
no complaints.
what gas mileage do are you supposed to get driving the city on boost often with 550cc injectors and z32 maf, JWT ecu?

handinpants
05-26-2009, 07:19 PM
i get 200 miles per tank on 91 octane, on/off boost city driving, and about 250 on/off boost freeway driving.

S14DB
05-26-2009, 07:36 PM
What is your setup and how are you tuned?

GSXRJJordan
05-26-2009, 07:50 PM
He just said, 550cc/Z32/JWT ECU. I'm guessing T28.

JWT stuff usually runs hellishly rich, which is the opposite side of the spectrum from what you're talking about (the only way a car runs better with race gas is if it's detonating somewhere on pump gas). I don't get it, but GLHF.

aNskY
05-26-2009, 08:36 PM
From the first sentence of the first post.

lol :werd: look at the last sentence in the first post :rofl:

is the sky blue?