PDA

View Full Version : Car idles high on cold start..too high possibly?

s13pignose
05-21-2009, 10:52 AM
Say if I start my car in the morning, first time for the day, it starts like its about to die, then instantly seems to idle pretty high. It's like it starts at maybe like 12 to 1300 for about 2 secs..then goes to about 1k, and eventually if it warms up (nismo t-stat takes it forever) before hitting the road..750 maybe. However, I think I've noticed on occasions it might have idled at the gauge is off anyway.

None of this seem to happen until like 2 days after me cleaning my AICV with intake throttle body cleaner. I did the intake hose method. The car did dies on me twice cause I didn't give enough throttle while spraying, but eventually I got it up and running again to continue. Last time I did it was about two months ago. Only reason I did so soon again..my idle would fluctuate back and forth before. Later realized it was my broken auto window switch trying to let the window down every 3 secs or so. Well it was already down..so each time it activated it put a drain on the car changing the idke.

So now I don't know if I should try cleaning again to correct this problem or what? Never did it till after that 2nd cleaning..no sensors were unplugged or anything during..just the intake hoses..all of which are on good

s13pignose
05-22-2009, 11:05 PM
any one have an idea, any is appreciated.

s14gmo
05-22-2009, 11:09 PM
maybe its your maf sensor?

s13pignose
05-23-2009, 10:37 AM
Hmm..no telling. I usually keep that pretty clean since I have a oiled filter on my intake...cleaned twice maybe 8 months about 4months apart..mainly trying to fix a problem that turned out to be code 34..so all along was probably the knock sensor giving me issues. Now in this particular situation not sure.

None of this idle business happen until I tried cleaning the AICV. Thanks for the suggestion

s13pignose
05-23-2009, 07:36 PM
Ok got code 25 idle air control valve..does that mean I'm about to be replacing something to fix it?

xs240
05-24-2009, 07:59 AM
whats the maf sensor look like? Is it the plugged in thing in the MAF? with two screws?

Reason I'm asking I had/have a problem with my stock 91 MAF.. it was running pig rich and idle problems and dying crazy while smoking... turns out if i hit the maf it would start running okay again... any ideas? Let me know...

jr_ss
05-24-2009, 08:30 AM
Your car idling high upon first start is normal... They all do this and gradually go down to the spec'd idling point of 750 +/- 100rpms. It does this to bring the engine up to temp faster and is controlled by your ECU throught the IACV or by means of the fast idle cam (which is based off a thermo unit, like your thermostat, when it heats up it closes the throttle plate back to a normal position, but when cold it cracks it open slightly).

As far as the acting like it's going to die, check for small vac leaks...

I LUV MY S13
05-24-2009, 10:31 AM
Ok got code 25 idle air control valve..does that mean I'm about to be replacing something to fix it?

yea just replace the iacv..i had idle issues with my car even after cleaning it out...now it runs fine

Bigsyke
05-24-2009, 11:53 AM
Maybe get a bottle of autorx. Sounds like your timing chain tensioner needs to be lubed up or replaced. Also check oil pressure at startup.

s13pignose
05-24-2009, 11:15 PM
Would iacv affect driving? My tach was jumping to night like I had a ground cable loose or something. Done it numerous times ever since I got knock sensor code, but tonight was real bad and even cut off on expressway. I got it to start right back up. Still stayed jumpin on the way home..I kept hearing the relays near the ecu clicking. Checked the ground on my battery..that was tight. Then the ground wire by the ecu..that was tight. That is the only ground for the ecu isn't it? The grounds on the drivers side by the exhaust manifold were tight too (ka24de s14).

I wanna just get a ebay knock sensor and hope it'll fix it, but I never know if it could be wiring..or maybe even maf. I've cleaned it b4 with no problems, but no telling on the inside circuit