PDA

View Full Version : problem with clicking

AJ
10-11-2001, 03:25 PM
when i am off the accelerator, namely while going down hills, and takin around 2,900-3,000 in 2nd or 3rd gear, something under my car clicks like crazy,, if i take the accelerator it goes away untill i let it up and it starts again when in those rpm ranges.  I am clueless to what is wrong..  it is merely a noise, there isn't any grinding, there is just a clicking.... any ideas?.. thanks!

Gold240se
10-11-2001, 03:32 PM
Could be a piece of metal on or around you cat.  Mine does it to.  Never at higher rpm's, only down low.  Or it could be the heat shield.  Have u read that post?  some times they ge a little rusty and a little flap of metal rattles or clicks at certain rpm.  I don't know if this will do you any good seeing as that I haven't heard your particular clicking but thats what was the cause of my clicking/rattling

AJ
10-12-2001, 03:08 PM
does the headshield get really close to the clutch - tranny?  because if i tap the clutch it goes away for a sec

S13Grl
10-12-2001, 03:14 PM
See, if you tap the clutch, you're not accelerating anymore (not forcing any air through your exhaust). Your heat shields only rattle and click when you're forcing air through so... I don't think it's your clutch. Get your heat shields looked at/taken off.

rabbit23
10-12-2001, 03:49 PM
i've had 3 different things rattle on my car only at 2900-3100rpm's. after i fix one another starts a few weeks later. what is the deal with the vibration at that rpm?
wierd!!!!

LanceS13
10-12-2001, 03:59 PM
If I had to guess, I'd say it's probably b/c that's the range you're driving in most of the time.  If a certain piece is prone to vibrate at a certain frequency, over a long time of being subjected to that frequency, it will probably loosen and start rattle.  

AJ
10-13-2001, 12:30 PM
well shiet.. i'm getting custom cat back real soon,, should i c if the guy can look there too?. or should i take it to a nissan dealership?>.  i need to get some floormats anyway, so it wound't be out of my way.  

10-19-2001, 09:37 PM
you sure its not your stab. links? or tension rod? or is it like a loose metal noise? if so its a heat shield. just pry it of or take a buzz tool to it