PDA

View Full Version : Injectors

reds13
10-19-2001, 06:19 PM
Hi,
My car gives out a lot of smoke when i put the pedal to the floor from 40 to 70. Sometimes it happens when I take off. In addition to that if the car is hot and I shut it off and then start after 5 minutes it feels like it's running on 3 cylinders. Tried cleaning with Valvoline injector cleaner. No luck...
Could it be the injectors? If so where can I get them? I tried nissan parts and they are $120 each. Is there a Bosch equivalent? I would rather buy a performance part.

Thanks.
240sx

S13Grl
10-19-2001, 06:53 PM
I'd say take it to a shop and have them test it. I don't know of any other way to test them unless you've got the equipment.

reds13
10-19-2001, 07:18 PM
I like to fix my cars myself. Most places I went to were not that great and nissan dealer shops don't like to do complicated tasks. They just love doing $200 brake jobs.
Not that I am cheap (which I am) but to me there is more fun fixing a problem then driving a car afterwards...

ca18guy
10-20-2001, 07:33 AM
What color is the smoke ? You could test to see if your injectors are getting a eletrical signal by testin the wire that go's to them. Check your spark plugs first, also see what color the spark plugs are, are they burnt or do they have normal wear?

reds13
10-20-2001, 09:02 AM
The smoke is grayish-blue. It's hard to tell as it happens when I'm driving. I changed the plugs (Bosch 4 leads) and wires. The old plugs looked absolutely normal. Beige-brown color. They weren't wet.
My other thought was the valve guide seals. The car is 11 years old and has 70k so it may be about time to replace them. Different cars have different symptoms when it come to the seals. My 88 Olds was giving out a cloud of smoke on a cold start and didn't smoke while I was driving. After I changed the seals on it the problem disappeared. From what I can tell it is a lot easier to change them on the 240sx. But before I do that I want to make sure it is not the injectors.
Oh, and I was reading the other posts about injectors - I have the same problem with gas stains on the outside of the injector #1.  I don't want to replace just one injector or change the o-rings. I would rather get new performance injectors. Can you suggest a good brand?
Thanks

S13Grl
10-20-2001, 09:18 AM
Densos. They're about $15 a piece.

I see smoke coming out of my exhaust sometimes as well, I checked and looked at everything and since I had the benefit of working at a Nissan dealer, I asked one of the techs there if this was normal, they told me it was perfectly fine. All KAs burn some oil, he said, and bits of white smoke are normal too. But, running on three cyllinders is not, so I can't relate to you as far as that is concerned. My #4 wire constantly pops out though, I've tried everything, but it keeps on doing the same thing. I think it may be time for some NGKs. Oh, and when this pops out, I still don't run on three cyllinders: trust me, I'd notice. So... good luck! I don't know what else to say.

reds13
10-20-2001, 10:56 AM
I could not find Denso injectors for less than $100.
There are cheaper ones but they are remanufactured.
On www.coximport.com I found VENOMâ„¢ Hi-Performance Fuel Injectors: HP630-112 .
They are $72 each and promise to give 10% more fuel.
Does anyone have anything to say for Venom?

ca18guy
10-20-2001, 11:07 AM
Never heard of any one using Venom. Don't be afraid of remanufactured injector's.

reds13
10-20-2001, 11:34 AM
There is a KEM injector. It's $70 at www.autopartsgiant.com
It is listed a multi port injector. Is that better?
I found them for $75 at a store near by.
Any info on KEM?

S13Grl
10-20-2001, 11:47 AM
</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Quote: from reds13 on 11:56 am on Oct. 20, 2001
I could not find Denso injectors for less than $100.
There are cheaper ones but they are remanufactured.
On www.coximport.com I found VENOMâ„¢ Hi-Performance Fuel Injectors: HP630-112 .
They are $72 each and promise to give 10% more fuel.
Does anyone have anything to say for Venom?

</td></tr></table><span id='postcolor'>

Sorry, $115 a piece, I made a typo. :biggrin: