PDA

View Full Version : Exedy Stage One VS Norcal Illegal Garage Clutch

dongoesby
05-12-2009, 01:11 PM
Described by Max, the builder of IG clutch:
"exedy clutches are not hand made
the difference between what we make and they make is like a Sara lee cake and one custom made by a baker"

I'm still not very sure about this. Hoping to get some user experience in here. I'm planning on weekend track/autox, occasion clutch kicks but still want to keep it streetable and soft pedal for DD.

Both are about the same price, but exedy comes with new pressure plate while IG reuses the factory pressure plate for retaining softness to the pedal.

dongoesby
07-17-2009, 02:33 PM
bumppppp...

zugoi
07-17-2009, 02:45 PM
I wonder if he makes his own clothes because the cookie cutter clothes we get arnt up to his par

g-via
07-17-2009, 02:54 PM
lol

I just bought a exedy stage one from mazworx, prior to that I was using an OEM SR20DET clutch.

I'll let you know once it's installed

BustedS13
07-17-2009, 03:42 PM
1.) Exedy is a successful company, people use their products
2.) what the fuck is Illegal Garage?

homeslicej2
07-17-2009, 03:48 PM
^seriously, that's a great name for a performance shop. Several people/shops/etc. make thier own clutches. It's usually hit or miss, but unlike a large company, you almost never get a warranty or replacement if there is a manufacturing defect from the local clutch maker. IMO, if they're the same price, go with the Exedy.

Team DET
07-17-2009, 03:50 PM
i have exedy stage one its was stiff to me because it was my first non oem clutch so far it still good after 2y7months

SR_Vlurs
07-17-2009, 03:53 PM
I wonder if he makes his own clothes because the cookie cutter clothes we get arnt up to his par

^^ lol nice

mattro
07-17-2009, 04:07 PM
i had a "custom" clutch made by a local shop and while im doing my engine i noticed that its already shot. less than 5k miles. (granted the privious owner of the car was a well. he didnt break it in.) just bought a comp clutch stage 2. carbon kevlar.

FaLKoN240
07-17-2009, 05:49 PM
Haha this thread is totally the fucking NEW Zilvia.

If any of the OGs were still browsing Zilvia, they'd laugh at you for comparing a shitty ass stage one exedy to an IG set up.

IG is the best locally made non big brand clutch in Northern California.

I had one on my KA-T set up my friend had one on his. These clutches are awesome for drifting, and grab really well. I'd recommend them to anyone, but whatever, you guys wanna go with a big brand clutch or whatever, go ahead.

superJoy
07-17-2009, 05:55 PM
I have an Illegal Garage clutch on my CA18DET, I'm happy with it. (Clutch, not necessarily the engine, HAHAHA)

Off the shelf stuff can be hard to find for CA18s, and he catered to my needs. A good business, well worth supporting.

dongoesby
07-20-2009, 06:09 PM
I have an Illegal Garage clutch on my CA18DET, I'm happy with it. (Clutch, not necessarily the engine, HAHAHA)

Off the shelf stuff can be hard to find for CA18s, and he catered to my needs. A good business, well worth supporting.

do you have single or dualphram pressure plate? how streetable is the clutch in your opinion.

HPKMotorsports3
07-20-2009, 06:24 PM
i had exedy and i was less than pleased with performance my baby was a DD and i felt that the clutch was weak... but i guess everyone has there opinion...GL to illegal garage

Taniguchi_Is_#1
07-20-2009, 06:40 PM

If any of the OGs were still browsing Zilvia, they'd laugh at you for comparing a shitty ass stage one exedy to an IG set up.

I had one on my KA-T set up my friend had one on his. These clutches are awesome for drifting, and grab really well. I'd recommend them to anyone, but whatever, you guys wanna go with a big brand clutch or whatever, go ahead.

lol. i was gonna say the same thing. it makes me feel like an old head because i've been around long enough to know about illegal garage...... and i live on the other side of america. i've never heard of any complaints about his clutches, either from the s-chassis peeps or the ae86 guys. just do it. max misawa = A+

BayS13
07-20-2009, 06:46 PM
i had a IG clutch
it was good
i would buy another but i have too much power for one now

homeslicej2
07-20-2009, 10:13 PM

I had one on my KA-T set up my friend had one on his. These clutches are awesome for drifting, and grab really well. I'd recommend them to anyone, but whatever, you guys wanna go with a big brand clutch or whatever, go ahead.Didn't know this about IG. We learn something new everyday.

superJoy
07-21-2009, 10:52 AM
do you have single or dualphram pressure plate? how streetable is the clutch in your opinion.

I have the single, because I have like 180hp and am a cheapass.

Have you ever driven a Miata? Or S2000? The pedal is as light as or lighter than those. Super light. It engages near the top of the pedal too, but that's a CA18 thing, I don't think that's the clutch's fault. And yes I have adjusted the pedal, if anyone is wondering.

Anyway it's pretty cool for the street. Lighter than stock KA24DE! Woo! And that's with a SS clutch line and the damper box deleted.

If you want it to hold big HP and have a manly pedal, the dual diaphragm is probably better.

But I DD my car so I like the light pedal, and low HP. Hah