PDA

View Full Version : short shifter help

kazuma
05-12-2009, 12:13 PM
Alright so when I bought my s14 it came with a short shifter which rattled(b&M knockoff). When I opened the shifter portion(4 hex screws) all that was in there was a spring and a hex screw which seemed very loose.

I was wondering does anyone have a picture or know exactly what should be in there? this is a big piss off for me as I want to be able to drive the car without this rattle that happens the moment i rev the motor over 3.5k .

zenki.life
05-12-2009, 12:17 PM
well a write up like this is hard to explain. however the best i should tell you is that there is a reason it is called a "knock off". you get what you pay for. or in this case the previous owner. even the older B&ms had vibrations that the version 2 fixed.

edit

and there seems to be nothing missing if thats what your asking. my b&m just has a metal sleeve, spring and spring retainer. thats it.

yours rattles because its cheap

zugoi
05-12-2009, 12:28 PM
Try taking your shift knob off to see if the rattling is still there. Could be a cheap knob.

zenki.life
05-12-2009, 12:30 PM
Try taking your shift knob off to see if the rattling is still there. Could be a cheap knob.

CHEAP SHORT SHIFTER RATTLE!!!!!!

end of story

kazuma
05-12-2009, 01:28 PM
CHEAP SHORT SHIFTER RATTLE!!!!!!

end of story

based on what I've read by searching the forums the cheap rattle that is happening on knock off short shifters is due to the middle section resonating and causing the noise at speeds of 50+MPH, my issue on the other hand I can be going 10-20mph at like 4k rpm in second gear it and it starts to make the noise.

I thought the issue was the way the spring and hex screw were used was incorrect hence why I was wondering if anyone could look inside their short shifter and tell me what it looks like or possibly provide a pic.

zenki.life
05-12-2009, 03:25 PM
ok think of a verticle cylinder with an opening on one side like a hot dog bun. lol. in the middle of this cylinder is tab that extends inward that lets retainer piece sit, then the short shifter nubby thing sits on top of the retainer, on top of the shifter nub sits the spring followed by the top of the shifter and hex's

xs240
05-12-2009, 08:02 PM
^WHAT? LOL

Man but I thought the b&m v2 ALSO rattles past 4k-5k rpm? Is there a remedy. I am so close to getting a b&m v2.. im sick of my megan v2... garbage... I love short shifters, can't live without it, and YES I do shift faster, going from my standard regular manual car to the car with the short shifter, i shift incredibly insanely... so no go for stock. There has to be a rattle buzz ruzz free option...

ericcastro
05-12-2009, 08:20 PM
240sxTech - 240sx Performance, Modification and Repair Articles in One Place - Copyright NICOclub.com (http://www.240sxtech.com/)

THERE is a short shifter instal on this jem of a page

NismOkatFreaK
05-12-2009, 08:36 PM
Mine had that problem, the weight they have in the middle of shifter rattled so i wrapped it in electrical tape (since the boot covers it anyway) and the rattle went away completely feals solid now.

Bushido
05-13-2009, 01:24 PM
^ he's right.

you can use a couple o-rings or electrical tape to keep the pieces solid and eliminate the rattle.

while you are in there replace the plastic bushing at the base of the shifter with an OEM nissan piece.

zenki.life
05-13-2009, 02:31 PM
or a cusco :)

s14l0v3r
05-15-2009, 05:08 PM

chill this is possible for example i have a nismo dildo shift knob and after i put in my b&m, it would raddle at about 4k and took off my shift knob to find out that it was raddling and making this echoeing sound cuz the shift knob is hollow. but jus got used to it and never really bothered messing with it cuz i know what it is doing it now. so shift knob is definitly possible :D.