PDA

View Full Version : car is crap- fuel pump problems?

andrave
03-29-2003, 11:33 AM
Ok my car stutters under full throttle, and it gets worse when the gas gets below 1/4 tank. I cleaned my injectors but they look ok. The seals on them are fine. this is an 1989 s13 nissan 240sx ka24e sohc fastback.
I have just been living with this problem since I didn't know what it was.
but I stumble onto this guy's ebay post and it sounds like what my car is doing...
is it the fuel pump?
I thought fuel pumps usually just died, but I don't know. I've heard a couple things here and there that make me think I might just need a new fuel pump.
if so I'm gonna get a walbro 255 lb/hour cause my stock engine's life is declining (160k miles) and I'm gonna swap in the next year, don't know which engine yet though.
this is the ebay post, probably the kit I'd get too, its cheaper than autozone.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2408389627&category=33555

If anyone has any help, I'd greatly appeciate it. thanks guys.

atcq110
03-29-2003, 01:54 PM
If you are going to get that kit, check www.heavythrottle.com there prices are usualy pretty good.

andrave
03-29-2003, 07:35 PM
well, see, I'm poor.
Yeah, i shoulda mentioned that.
I only want to get the pump now if it will solve my problems...
does anyone have any experience or advice?

andrave
03-31-2003, 08:57 AM
Hey I'm gonna bump this to the top, I still need help.

kandyflip445
03-31-2003, 11:01 AM
Have you ever replaced your fuel filter?

sayuki
03-31-2003, 01:20 PM
just thought i'd add my two cents since i had fuel pump problems a few months ago.

First, fuel pumps DON'T always just die. When they are dying, they will work when they want - sometimes work sometimes not work. This was my problem and i just thought it was having problems starting cuz engine was cold. - What happened was one time the fuel pump decided NOT to work and caused an electrical short in the car. I spent long hours and $$$ on a new pump and a lot of time Bit**in and it got me nowhere. -

My advice - if you don't know what's wrong and don't know what you're doing - take it to a mechanic you trust. It took my mechanic 20 minutes to fix the whole problem and cost me less than $60 - this is after a month of trying to fix it myself.

I wouldn't buy a pump until you've verified that's the problem. Unless of course, you're just looking to upgrade etc.

andrave
03-31-2003, 04:37 PM
ok, I guess when I get my next paycheck I'll try and find someone reliable... I'm new to this area and don't know anyone I trust...
I may wait until the end of this month when I'm home and have a guy that will check it out for me.

and yes, when the problem first happened I replaced the fuel filter. Its new.

syco3d
04-12-2003, 10:57 AM
Have you got the problem fixed yet??? I'm having similar problem that just started yesterday, so I'm trying to get a better idea of what it could be.

andrave
04-12-2003, 12:21 PM
well I took out a loan to buy an engine that a wholesaler was holding for me but they sold it.. it was a ca18det.
so if I can find another I'm planning on swapping.
If and when I do swap, I'm going to put the walbro 255 lb/hr pump in, and I'll try and do it before the swap so I can know for sure if it was my fuel pump or not.

gregsr20
04-12-2003, 01:45 PM
sounds like it could be a fuel filter

andrave
04-12-2003, 02:30 PM
It sometimes helps to read the entire post, greg.

gregsr20
04-12-2003, 02:57 PM
it sometimes helps to love a little, not hate, and thanks man, i'll remember that in the future. Just trying to help

gregsr20
04-12-2003, 02:59 PM
chimed in a little late i guess, sorry