PDA

View Full Version : accidentally damaged one piston... need some opinions

john891
05-08-2009, 08:02 PM
hey guys I have been searching and re-searching trying to figure out how i should go about this.

Motor= newly installed S13 SR

Long story kinda short: I was bleeding one of my lifters and I wasnt smart about reinstalling one of the cams. While turning over the motor by hand one of the exhaust valves hit the number two piston, broke off and damaged it slightly. (i took the head off to confirm this)
The #2 piston has 2 nicks in it and a hair line crack where the valve lodged itself.

Anyway. i have several good condition used SR pistons. I was just wondering if since i have several good condition used pistons if it would be OK to take the motor just enough to where i could take off the upper oil pan, slide the old piston out and and slide another one in. I have a spare head to put on and the motor and head studs/head gasket on the way. Other than the piston being slightly damaged the motor is in great shape.

Thoughts would be appreciated. thanks

Sileighty_85
05-08-2009, 08:22 PM
how the hell do you crack a pistion from just turning the engine over by hand??
I can understand maybe snapping a valve but cracking the piston??
Were you jumping up and down on the breaker bar??

The nicks are fine but if its really crack then you need to replace that piston

john891
05-09-2009, 08:11 AM
yes i was jumping up and down on the breaker bar dude.

besides the supernatural mechanical irregularity that has happened here- anyone else?

2fizzleforshizzle
05-09-2009, 09:09 AM
U must be very strong or trun green when mad 2 break valves and crack pistons with hand!!

gotta240
05-09-2009, 09:17 AM
sounds like a LOT of force was applied to break that.

I would also be worried about the bearings on that cylinder.

fliprayzin240sx
05-09-2009, 08:18 PM
sounds like a LOT of force was applied to break that.

I would also be worried about the bearings on that cylinder.

and piston rings sealing.

If im in your situation and really wanna pull that piston out, I'd hone the cylinder a bit, toss some fresh rings and fresh rod bearing. The problem now is considering how much work youre doing to that 1 cylinder, might as well do all 4.

john891
05-09-2009, 10:56 PM
yeah i was thinking along those lines as well. Just sucks when you put a motor in and are ready to go and this kinda thing sets you back. thanks guys.

junbugs13
05-09-2009, 11:01 PM
u might as well just have it honed out install new rod bearings and piston rings be fine then it will be sure to run fine cuz sr parts are cheaper than rb so just do it now and not regret not doin it when you had the chance

john891
05-12-2009, 04:21 PM
well i took the motor partially out, rested the tranny on the core support, dropped the oil pans and slipped the new piston in. the cylinder and rings looks great so hopefully it works out!