PDA

View Full Version : Should I be concerned about 155K miles?

muskrat
03-28-2003, 07:53 AM
I might have a good chance at getting a 1991 240sx, interior and exterior are described as near perfect, and the engine has 155K miles on it.

With import cars I am usually not concerned about high mileage, but I don't know much about Nissans.

I would not be swapping, just keeping the stock engine to drive daily 50 miles.

Any concerns?

TIA

Natty
03-28-2003, 09:46 AM
It depends. Ifit is in good condition, chances are very good it has been taken well care of. Can you get documentation? Which owner are you? Get a carfax!

You have to understand, this is getitng up there in milegae, but the KA is a great motor and will go for 200,000 without a problem if taken well care of. The rest of the car should hold up alright ;)
Stuff will break. Starters, brake cylinders, transmissions (syncrhos or bearings), etc. In other word, little stuff. Have it check out for an hour by a mechanic.

I bought mine with 145,000 miles and it has 160,000 on it. I had the clutch hydraulics replaced (slave/master for $200), a starter, and a brake master cylinder.

Be prepared for a tuneup too.

But basically, if yo ufind a nice one, it will only be the ocassional small problem. I would do it again. You can get a great car at a great price if yo don't mind fixing a few things. Email me if you want to know anything else, I have class now.
[email protected]

Jeff

Natty
03-28-2003, 09:50 AM
As for commuting, I hpe you can maintain a high speed for most of those 50 miles, because S13 seats SUCK! They can be swapped, but I haven't felt tthe need to do so yet. I can take 3 hour drives.
Jeff

muskrat
03-28-2003, 10:38 AM
Originally posted by Natty
As for commuting, I hpe you can maintain a high speed for most of those 50 miles, because S13 seats SUCK!

25 miles one way, I can take just about anything. I've done this commute in a '89 Toyota 4x4 truck, '86 Suzuki Samurai (lifted), '88 Ford F-150 4x4(bench seat), '91 Honda Accord, and now '89 Honda CRX (with sport suspension). I think the 240 seats should be just fine.

andrave
03-28-2003, 12:44 PM
s13 seats suck?
dude mine are awesome, I've taken many road trips, the longest was 13 hours, with absolutely no problems. most of the people that ride in my car comment on my "comfortable seats."
I bought mine with 145k on it and its got 160k on it now and its still fine.
I had to replace: spark plugs, spark plug wires, fuel filter, exhaust manifold gasket, clutch, pressure plate, clutch slave cylinder, stock sound system was also shot, and I had to buy a new hood and a sunroof.
basically it was mantainence stuff, nothing you can't handle in your garage. I did all my own work and dropping the tranny was the hardest.
right now its showing signs of a dying fuel pump, so I'm going to try and change that out in may.

syco3d
03-28-2003, 01:00 PM
I bought my 92 240 w/163k last oct. I'm now around 175k and runnnin great. Luckily for me when I bought the car they had already replaced the brake cylinders and the timing chain, so that took care of two hassles...

good luck w/the buy!

EDIT: I love my seats as well. (fixed headrest btw...) They look great, and IMO they're very comfertable.

muskrat
03-28-2003, 01:03 PM
Originally posted by syco3d
I love my seats as well. (fixed headrest btw...) They look great, and IMO they're very comfertable.

I'm glad people are saying this. The seats look very comfortable to me and I've heard that they are up until the person above said they aren't.

syco3d
03-28-2003, 01:17 PM
I also just wanted to add on the seat issue...

I drive about once a week to a town that's about 2 hrs away...(gf) So my opinion on comfort isn't just based on short trips around the city. But it's going to depend on YOUR body size and structure on how comfortable the seats are for YOU.

The only problem I have on 'longer' drives is when I leave my wallet in my pocket...then my accelerator leg goes to sleep after about an hour. :D

240Driver39
03-28-2003, 01:45 PM
haha, my opinion of the seats

they arent horrible, but they do become very uncomforatble for me after time, no matter how clean they are, they still just look like crap, and yeah, bascially they are foam covered with a burlap sack...lol little exaggeration there...

miles are a good judge of a car's condition, but not always, cars are only as good as they were maintained.

andrave
03-28-2003, 02:17 PM
I've heard it said miles are a good indicator of the car, but a vacuum gauge is a better indicator of the engine...

91s13coupe
03-28-2003, 02:33 PM
my 91' coupe has 175k miles on it and has 175psi of compression on all four cylinders. it has been taken very good care of over its 12 years and it shows!

misnomer
03-28-2003, 05:16 PM
I didn't worry when mine passed 150k. She'll hold if you take care of her.

As far as seats go, I used to have a long commute to work (~100miles round trip, mainly highway). Did this for a year in an '89 with the fixed headrest seats and another six months in my '92 with adjustables. THe fixed headrest seats are quite comfortable, the adjustables are "meh." I want some fixed headrest seats :P

andrave
03-29-2003, 12:11 PM
forget to mention I have fixed headrest seats in mine too.

fleaf
03-29-2003, 01:48 PM
Originally posted by 91s13coupe
my 91' coupe has 175k miles on it and has 175psi of compression on all four cylinders. it has been taken very good care of over its 12 years and it shows!

that's a really good reading. My KA24DE has 122,xxx miles and compression shows up as : 155, 160, 160, 165, and it's still running strong.

240racer
03-29-2003, 02:31 PM
Originally posted by syco3d
I also just wanted to add on the seat issue...

I drive about once a week to a town that's about 2 hrs away...(gf) So my opinion on comfort isn't just based on short trips around the city. But it's going to depend on YOUR body size and structure on how comfortable the seats are for YOU.

The only problem I have on 'longer' drives is when I leave my wallet in my pocket...then my accelerator leg goes to sleep after about an hour. :D

I have that exact same problem. I thought my seat was just a little worn, but since it is down with an engine rebuild I pulled the seat out and found that the frame welds had broken. So now I plan to fix them and try to fix the foam too. That should make them more comfortable. When I first saw the seats, I was kinda scared of them, but they have good support. My passenger seat is very comfortable.

Anubis
03-29-2003, 05:13 PM
the only thing i hate about S13 is the dam frikin auto seatbelts!