PDA

View Full Version : Rod knock or timing chain/tensioner/guide?

dreaMervaj
05-05-2009, 03:57 PM
YouTube - SR20DET Rod knock or timing chain? (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c4X8Dacol0E)

I originally thought it was the valves when the problem first occurred because it was more of a "ticking" sound but after a few months it now sounds like the timing chain/rod knock. The sound seems to be coming from the front of the valve cover but after I watch all the videos I can on youtube of SR20 rod knock it seems to sound a lot similar to it.

Shoot me some feedback guys. Thanks!

dreaMervaj
05-06-2009, 10:43 AM
Bump this up!?

weissguy
05-06-2009, 10:47 AM
I almost bought a car that had that noise, but not at idle like yours. It only made that noise when revved a little. I didnt buy it but it turned out to be rod knock, or so I heard from the grapevine.

Maybe a stethoscope could help you pinpoint the noise. In the mean time, I'd run it as little as possible.

SoguRacing
05-06-2009, 10:51 AM
take off the valve cover and remove the secondary chain guide on top. there's 2 bolts holding it on.

dreaMervaj
05-06-2009, 04:03 PM
take off the valve cover and remove the secondary chain guide on top. there's 2 bolts holding it on.

Are you stating that the "secondary chain guide" is making this noise? I knew the KA has that guide on top but the SR does too?

Feedback would be appreciated. Thanks.

supreme_1
05-06-2009, 05:46 PM
i cant tell with my shetty computer speakers, but to me it doesnt sound like a rod knock.

if it is a rod knock, down one cylinder at a time, and if the sound gets the least bit softer then it may be a knock. to me it sounds like an exhaust leak, kinda

dreaMervaj
05-07-2009, 10:12 AM
i cant tell with my shetty computer speakers, but to me it doesnt sound like a rod knock.

if it is a rod knock, down one cylinder at a time, and if the sound gets the least bit softer then it may be a knock. to me it sounds like an exhaust leak, kinda

So if it was rod knock or anything in the bottom in, it would start losing compression one cylinder at a time?

s14unimog
05-07-2009, 02:05 PM
To answer you questions, the SR20 does have that upper guide, similar to the KA's. You can remove that with no adverse effects. As for knock, it wouldn't effect compression. Rod knock would mean that the connecting rod bearing has been damaged and hence created slop between the crank journal and rod end. If you had knock, that would be what you are hearing. As the crank rotates, the rod end would "jiggling" back and forth, creating the audible noise.

It's like when you get a loose pussy and all you can do is bounce from side to side....:bowrofl:

BTW: sounds like you might need to bleed your lifters.... I would check the oil for bearing pieces (regarding knock concern) and also pop the VC and remove that upper guide, just so you know its not/or is that. I've never looking in an S14 SR, but I assume they have an upper guide too.

fliprayzin240sx
05-07-2009, 05:00 PM
Yah definitely something in the head...chain slop, shitty lifters, lost rocker arm shims...could be anything. Take the valve cover off and check everything out...bleeding the lifters is also a great idea.

MannylovesLian
05-07-2009, 07:15 PM
i had the same noise but from your video i can only guess because you dont rev it very high. if the noise goes away once you get on the gas a then its your intake gear that is making the noise. if your car makes the noise thoughout all of your rpms then its you timing chain. somwhthing maybe with the guide like they are saying. but this noise is very common with the S14 sr20. usually its the intake cam gear. just replace it, or delete it.

dreaMervaj
05-08-2009, 11:56 AM
i had the same noise but from your video i can only guess because you dont rev it very high. if the noise goes away once you get on the gas a then its your intake gear that is making the noise. if your car makes the noise thoughout all of your rpms then its you timing chain. somwhthing maybe with the guide like they are saying. but this noise is very common with the S14 sr20. usually its the intake cam gear. just replace it, or delete it.

What would be an easy reliable fix if it was the intake cam gear?

ant s13
05-08-2009, 07:55 PM
Mine (s13 sr) is/was making that same exact sound after i rebuilt the bottom end.

After almost 180 miles, the motor shut off. And after pulling the vc off, i noticed the dowel pin on exhaust cam came lose and was poking out enough to get chewed up by the cas.

I will be taking out it out and tearing it down again this weekend to check other damages.