PDA

View Full Version : E-Brake light wont go out.

GuardianLlama
05-01-2009, 07:14 PM
ok so the brake light won't go out on the dash of my 1990 hatch. fluid is to the top and the light goes on and off as i apply the ebrake when the car is not running. but as soon as i start the car the light goes on. battery light also lights up dim. turbo timer reads 13.7v constantly

z32 front calipers, booster and BMC

some ideas?

kevmeistah21
05-01-2009, 07:20 PM
on your ebrake hand theres a switch towards the end, remove your center console to get a better point of view. The switch is towards the bottom of the ebrake and when you put the ebrake down it causes the switch to deactivate turning off the light and when you pull the ebrake up it causes the switch to activate turning on the light.

GuardianLlama
05-01-2009, 07:22 PM
as i said above the light functions perfectly while the car is not running. not really sure how this could solve my problem

kevmeistah21
05-01-2009, 07:24 PM
ohh lol i misread the first post. sorry idk whats going on then.

BoostedCoupe
05-01-2009, 07:32 PM
check the brake fluid. the light stays on when it is low.

rexify
05-01-2009, 08:43 PM
Its your charging system. With both those lights on it means the alternator isnt charging correctly. Have the alt checked out.

GuardianLlama
05-01-2009, 09:21 PM

BMC is full.... also as stated above.

Its your charging system. With both those lights on it means the alternator isnt charging correctly. Have the alt checked out.

damn even if my turbo timer is reading 13.7v???

rexify
05-02-2009, 09:09 AM

Yeah. my SAFC II was reading normal voltage too. My alternator belt was loose and wasnt charging that well. Once I tightened the belt everything was good again. See if your belt is tight first.

ixfxi
05-02-2009, 09:50 AM
alternator has nothing to do with the brake warning light circuit.

alternator charge light has its own circuit.

the brake light works with ether the ebrake switch OR the bmc reservoir level switch.

rexify
05-02-2009, 09:56 AM
alternator has nothing to do with the brake warning light circuit.

alternator charge light has its own circuit.

the brake light works with ether the ebrake switch OR the bmc reservoir level switch.

The brake and battery light combo is a code nissan uses for telling you battery isnt charging correctly. ITs been covered.

slothonaleash
05-05-2009, 01:42 PM
Is there any update on this?

My brake light comes on randomly while I'm driving then goes out. My BMC's full, and my alternator/battery are only a month or two old.

Odysseus
05-07-2009, 03:29 AM
^Ditto...Its annoying to see my light come and go.

ANVIL
05-07-2009, 10:08 AM
mine is on also. i tried quickly to address it but havent given it much thought until i finish my q45 calliper upgrade.

but what i did notice is.... if i pull up the ebrake the brake light gets brighter, and put it down it gets dimmer but still on. if i unplug the sensor on the bmc the light goes out, and if i use the ebrake, it lights on and off normally. the float isnt stuck and i drained/flushed out the bmc and it was still on. when i do my brake work (Q45 calipers/pads/rotors and ss lines up front, rebuilt s13 calipers in the R w ss lines) i will be doing a full flush and then going from there to address the light.

if anyone knows what could be up with mine id appreciate some suggestions

ixfxi
05-07-2009, 10:19 AM
The brake and battery light combo is a code nissan uses for telling you battery isnt charging correctly. ITs been covered.

Bullshit.

Those circuits dont even go into the ECU. The alternator (battery charge) light signal comes straight from the alternator, the low brake fluid/ebrake signal goes directly to the hand brake and the BMC.

What else, Chun Li throws her bracelets too right?

s14driver
05-07-2009, 11:55 AM
Alternator. I had the same issue

ANVIL
05-07-2009, 12:18 PM
my alternator has less than 2k miles on it, freshly rebuilt

clark
05-07-2009, 12:50 PM
you have a weak ass connection to your alternator.

you sure you have a plastic or other non metal washer separating the positive source to the alternator?

do you have a buzzing noise coming from the fuse panel near your left leg?

DreamN
05-07-2009, 12:54 PM
Bullshit.

Those circuits dont even go into the ECU. The alternator (battery charge) light signal comes straight from the alternator, the low brake fluid/ebrake signal goes directly to the hand brake and the BMC.

Mike, it's actually true. Search the subject, it's been talked about and confirmed. Hell, I even experienced it when I first bought my S13. Had an incredibly worn belt and once the car was on both the brake light and the battery light would come on simultaneously. Changed the alternator belt and all was perfect in the world.

janders211
05-18-2009, 07:52 PM
What else could cause this brake light + Battery light Combo?

I had it on my alternator when it was dying (<12.5). I replaced the alternator and it was fine (~13.3v)- and it worked for a while.
I left the car out in a hard rain and now I'm getting high overvoltage (15v, that sometimes drops to 13v) and I get both lights. It is overcharging- outside of the alternator what could do this...i.e. where else is there voltage regulation?

ixfxi
05-18-2009, 11:53 PM
Mike, it's actually true. Search the subject, it's been talked about and confirmed. Hell, I even experienced it when I first bought my S13. Had an incredibly worn belt and once the car was on both the brake light and the battery light would come on simultaneously. Changed the alternator belt and all was perfect in the world.

considering that ive taken apart the ENTIRE wiring harness of my 1990 S13 240SX and my 1998 S13 180SX, i will say that 100% there is no fucking combo code.

i took apart and traced each and every wire, and i can specifically tell you that the brake light circuit is completely separate from the alternator charge circuit, and none of them go through an ecu or anthing advanced enough to throw a combo code.

there is only ONE person on this forum that i would even remotely consider listening to when it comes to wiring, and that would be russ. he is the only one who truly knows the car as inside and out as i do when it comes to wiring and such.

so no, there is no combo code.

janders211
05-19-2009, 10:05 AM
considering that ive taken apart the ENTIRE wiring harness of my 1990 S13 240SX and my 1998 S13 180SX, i will say that 100% there is no fucking combo code.

i took apart and traced each and every wire, and i can specifically tell you that the brake light circuit is completely separate from the alternator charge circuit, and none of them go through an ecu or anthing advanced enough to throw a combo code.

there is only ONE person on this forum that i would even remotely consider listening to when it comes to wiring, and that would be russ. he is the only one who truly knows the car as inside and out as i do when it comes to wiring and such.

When I unplug the power wire (the one that switches it on) to the alternator it pops on the brake light. There has to be some sort of connection for this to happen-although I'm not saying it is ECU controlled. Also, too low, and too high voltage coming from the alternator pop on the brake light...not sure why- but it happens.

Ragnarok043
05-19-2009, 10:54 AM
ditto it has happened to me before too, the brake light turned on when my alternator went bad.

DreamN
05-19-2009, 11:13 AM

You never bothered to look at the FSM?

91-94 FSM EL-46 Last portion of it you see the connection, bulb check relay.

rokmplutonium
05-19-2009, 09:54 PM

I had the same symptoms, turns out my alt. was going bad.
It took several months for my alternator to finally die. After my alt. was changed out, the lights turned off.

GuardianLlama
05-20-2009, 02:44 PM
crazy. while the car is running with a voltmeter on the battery its reading 14v wouldnt that show the it isn't my alt. going bad?

clark
05-20-2009, 02:47 PM
crazy. while the car is running with a voltmeter on the battery its reading 14v wouldnt that show the it isn't my alt. going bad?

did you check my previous post?

i had the same problem, i had a loose alternator connection and the posi terminal was grounding out as well.

get a plastic washer, clean the alternator connections.

blackej7
05-20-2009, 02:51 PM
http://img413.imageshack.us/img413/3581/brakelight.jpg

crazy nissan. (this is for 89')

Solidus311
05-20-2009, 03:09 PM

Oh wow, I guess that explains why my light stayed on all the time. I had a leak in one of my calipers and constantly had to replace the brake fluid before finally replacing the caliper itself. I thought my ebrake sensor was faulty. :)

GuardianLlama
05-21-2009, 01:38 AM

you sure you have a plastic or other non metal washer separating the positive source to the alternator?

no buzzing noise and alt connection was cleaned

did you check my previous post?

i had the same problem, i had a loose alternator connection and the posi terminal was grounding out as well.

get a plastic washer, clean the alternator connections.

alt connection checked. and i don't think posi is grounding out.

plastic washer? where? positive source on the alt?

240Zfunahollic
06-14-2009, 11:26 PM
i know this is old... but check the 10 amp eng cont fuse next to the battery... That causes the combo light :) ive blown that a few times...

cotbu
06-15-2009, 12:17 AM
:mepoke:So when Chun Li throws her bracelets... Do they fly like boomerangs or fireballs?

Om1kron
06-15-2009, 12:25 AM
BMC is full.... also as stated above.

Bam did you wire your turbo timer up to the ebrake switch? remove that wire and see if the light still stays on.

I just noticed mine stays on now too after adding the stupid turbo timer. And I don't see where the turbo timer reacts any differently with my brake up or down. So obviously the instructions are botched or I am using a wire they did not anticipate me tapping into.

roboticnissan
06-15-2009, 12:27 AM
its true battery light and e brake light, light up when charging is bad. thats a 100 percent fact so even if a 1000+ post count guy says different he is wrong.

janders211
06-15-2009, 08:56 AM
its true battery light and e brake light, light up when charging is bad. thats a 100 percent fact so even if a 1000+ post count guy says different he is wrong.

Weird...on start up my car is at 11.9 v. I blip the throttle once, and it's up to 15.0v , and will stay at 15.0v as long as I drive. I have the combo light - and my car runs great,and has done this for over 100 starts. I'll check my eng. cont fuse - any other symptoms of this fuse being blown- because my car runs great other than the low voltage until I blip the throttle.

OBEEWON
06-15-2009, 09:36 AM
Check the wiring harness under your drivers side fender. Happened to me all the time.

The Gray Ghost
06-15-2009, 10:13 AM
ok so the brake light won't go out on the dash of my 1990 hatch. fluid is to the top and the light goes on and off as i apply the ebrake when the car is not running. but as soon as i start the car the light goes on. battery light also lights up dim. turbo timer reads 13.7v constantly

z32 front calipers, booster and BMC

some ideas?

I have had the same problem for a couple of years and have changed all the components mentioned. When I changed the engine as I accelerated I would hear a buzzing sound and the light would go out, but when I leveled off on the accelerator the light came back on. Now the light stays on all the time and I can not find the cause also the ebrake light goes on and off when the car is not running but stays on when the car is running Sure would like to solve this problem

silk240
06-26-2009, 02:03 PM

i've been having this same problem and i get that buzzing noise. should i replace the alternator?

zenki.life
06-26-2009, 02:15 PM
im interested to see what ixfxi has to say about that now. i do respect his opinions as i believe he is knowledgeable.

silk240
06-26-2009, 03:37 PM
nevermind i fixed it. it was my 10 amp eng cont fuse. it blew and it fixed everything. no more buzzing, ebrake light stayin on or batt. light staying on

janders211
06-26-2009, 03:59 PM
weird. I fixed mine.

My e-fan, and my alternator 'on' switch were run off of a relay that was triggered by the fuel pump power wire. The e-fan relay died (but the alternator still turned on??). I replaced the relay and my alternator voltage went from 15 to 14, and the combo lights went out.

rexify
06-27-2009, 07:37 PM

Yeah. Dude needs to chill out. lol. :Owned:

heavenboundkevin
06-28-2009, 01:18 PM
i was having the same ebrake light/battery light dim problem. Went out and bought a used alt. and dont have the problem anymore. As far was the problem being fixed with a fuse? idk...s13..what a awesome car...

Serebros
06-28-2009, 02:27 PM
i had same problem, brake light and battery light dimming, and a buzzing from the fuse panel, have your alternator tested, its prolly bad, which was my case, changed it and now it runs perfect

Blurryeyes
07-16-2009, 12:18 PM
As kind as I am I went all the way to confirm that the ebrake and battery indicator combo is indeed a problem with battery charge, mine was triggered by the alt belt snapping hence no charge to the battery. Kthxbye

fastdash
07-16-2009, 06:25 PM
i fixed a similar problem by replacing my 10amp eng cont. fuse.