PDA

View Full Version : Carbon Fiber Hatch

cuong_vo06
04-29-2009, 01:40 PM
Hey guys, i just put on a carbon fiber hatch on my 240. however i want to put my old glass on the carbon fiber hatch, how do i take off the glass off the old one? and put it on the new one? Thanks guys in advance.

whiterps13
04-29-2009, 01:51 PM
Let a professional do it?
Theres a reason people do it for a living.
If you have to ask, you shouldnt try.

curry.style
04-29-2009, 01:56 PM
^+1 This is very true, especially considering how easy it is to absolutely destroy the glass just trying to get it out.

supreme_1
04-29-2009, 05:57 PM
if you have to ask this question, dont even attempt to take it out. take it to a glass shop and have them do it

ixfxi
04-29-2009, 07:06 PM
haha rear glass is especially tricky with the mounting clips & molding hardware.

carbon fiberglass hatch, ugh. stock hatch is light enough, but hey.. go for it.

cuong_vo06
04-29-2009, 07:25 PM
thanks guys for the advice, i called a pro but they said it was going to be hard and chances are they might break it which makes me quite worried but the risk is slim.

cuong_vo06
04-29-2009, 07:28 PM
if you have to ask this question, dont even attempt to take it out. take it to a glass shop and have them do it

so you're saying that for asking question i shouldnt do it, well dont everyone has question about everything. what sense would it make not to ask questions to be sure and all. at least everyone else gave me the advice to go to a shop and i took it. i was only trying to see if it was possible and if it were save money. if not then okay. ill take it somewhere else.

DataXUnknown
04-30-2009, 12:35 AM
You might as well just use plexi-glass

tangch
04-30-2009, 12:46 AM
The glass pro might not do it, they can't deal with non-dot approved products.

aoiken3
04-30-2009, 01:01 AM
^^if that happens to be the case, you can always find a shop willing to do it for some extra $$

breaker103
04-30-2009, 01:12 AM
have you considered lexan? thats what i recommend to some of my customers with carbon or fiberglass doors or hatches i only recommend that cuz most of the time the carbon fiber used it cosmetic and is not a strong as people think and when they shut their hatch it cracks, and that glass is heavier then people think and you dont really end up shaving that much wieght

supreme_1
04-30-2009, 05:17 AM
so you're saying that for asking question i shouldnt do it, well dont everyone has question about everything. what sense would it make not to ask questions to be sure and all. at least everyone else gave me the advice to go to a shop and i took it. i was only trying to see if it was possible and if it were save money. if not then okay. ill take it somewhere else.

I did give you advice and i also told you to take it to a glass shop. Please correct the grammatical errors and improper use of terms so i can distinguish whether or not you are trying to argue with me or make a point that you are broke.

If by all means you do want to try and take the glass out for your self, go and pick up a heat gun, wire leader, a needle, and a screwdriver. Start by taking off the surrounding trims from the plastic clips (if it was already taken off previously it may be siliconed on.) Once that is done carefully take those clips off while trying not to break them. Once you have done that heat the portion of the adhesive where you are trying to puncture with the wire leader and a needle. Once that is done, slowly go around the window with the wire leader. Make sure you heat ahead of where you will be cutting. Go around the entire window, and in no time flat you should get it off.

ixfxi
04-30-2009, 12:25 PM
I did give you advice and i also told you to take it to a glass shop. Please correct the grammatical errors and improper use of terms so i can distinguish whether or not you are trying to argue with me or make a point that you are broke.

If by all means you do want to try and take the glass out for your self, go and pick up a heat gun, wire leader, a needle, and a screwdriver. Start by taking off the surrounding trims from the plastic clips (if it was already taken off previously it may be siliconed on.) Once that is done carefully take those clips off while trying not to break them. Once you have done that heat the portion of the adhesive where you are trying to puncture with the wire leader and a needle. Once that is done, slowly go around the window with the wire leader. Make sure you heat ahead of where you will be cutting. Go around the entire window, and in no time flat you should get it off.

Glass guys dont use heat guns, because they dont use adhesive that is effected by heat. They dont use silicone (which you mentioned), but even if silicone was used.. you do realize that silicon can endure some serious temps.

Window guys use URETHANE adhesive, which is not effected much by temperature either.

cuong_vo06
04-30-2009, 04:13 PM
thanks for the advice guys, i guess i can find some place that can do lexan for me but how much would it cost. i found a shop that would transfer my old hatch glass over to the carbon fiber one but according to you guys the glass is super heavy. do i go to a bodyshop for this?

cuong_vo06
04-30-2009, 04:16 PM

Thanks for your advice and telling me my grammers are wrong. :rolleyes: and financially i dont make that much money so if there is an opportunity to save money i would love to take it. Everyone works hard for their money so i thought people would understand if i want to save a bit of cash. Apparently you are well off and dont have to worry about it. since its not possible for me to do it ill get it done by a pro like you suggested. thank you.

S14DB
04-30-2009, 04:32 PM
If you want to save money. Sell the CF trunk and run the stocker.

cuong_vo06
04-30-2009, 04:51 PM
If you want to save money. Sell the CF trunk and run the stocker.

this is true, i can do this but if that was the case why would i buy it in the first place right lol. i love my stock spoilerless and wiperless one but i always wanted a carbon fiber hatch considering not many people have it. if anything i might sell it for a good 500, i only got it for 250. VIS FTW lol.