PDA

View Full Version : Non-ABS rotors on ABS car?

OverBoost
04-27-2009, 10:37 AM
I searched and couldn't find a definitive answer on this topic. I have an ABS-equipped S13 and I would like to keep the ABS, however, I have a set (all four wheels) of non-ABS rotors for the car that I bought for a very good price.

I do understand that front S13 ABS rotors are several mm thicker than non-ABS rotors, but I would like to use these new rotors (the fronts are several mm thinner than the rotors I'm replacing).

Can I use the non-ABS rotors on my car? Also, if I can do this, I'll assume I need ABS pads?

If anyone has done this and it has worked, please chime in.

Thanks!

projectRDM
04-27-2009, 02:23 PM
It's not the thickness that's the issue, the ABS rotor is a hair larger in diameter IIRC. Test fit and see but you may find the pads not fully contacting the rotor.

Rears are the same size.

OverBoost
04-29-2009, 07:19 AM
When I test fit the pads, they have about 2-3mm of overlap over the edge of the rotor. Do you think I could use non-ABS brake pads instead since they are smaller? Would this have any negative effects on the braking system?

projectRDM
04-29-2009, 02:18 PM
Pads should be the same size, it's the caliper/rotor sizing that moves it outboard. Wouldn't hurt to check though.