PDA

View Full Version : Auto Tranny Questions

95auto
03-23-2003, 02:22 AM
how strong are the autos that are in our cars? i have been told by a few people that they will hold 400 hp without any problems, anybody know?

what is the deal with the "nismo approved" transmission free mod? the clip that you unplug, does that hurt anything, i cant find anything about it besides the post on this board.

any help would be great, thanks
adam

DuffMan
03-23-2003, 03:36 AM
The auto is not really that strong. The fastest auto 240 I know had a lot of tranny upgrades before reaching 400 hp.

AKADriver
03-23-2003, 03:49 PM
The auto is not as strong as the manual... there's no real set limit to what it can take, but they are known to break sooner than the 5 speeds.

The "free mod" involves unplugging the dropping resistor for the transmission fluid pressure regulator solenoid. More transmission fluid pressure means faster, harder shifts. It might wear out the clutch packs in the trans a bit faster. I wouldn't leave it unplugged in traffic. It's a neat little trick to pull at the dragstrip though.

Jeff240sx
03-23-2003, 04:52 PM
I was told by Don Nimi a long time ago that the auto was good to 350rwhp. The 5-speed is good untill 450rwhp or so, if driven nicely.
Also.. Level10.com does valvebody upgrades on the tranny, and can install a higher stall torque convertor.
-Jeff