PDA

View Full Version : sr blacktop idling rough, and trying to die

robss14
04-18-2009, 11:45 PM
ok so i have a s14 with a freshly swapped s13 blacktop.
the problem ive been having is the idle sits around 1000rpms, and bounces a bit. when i drive it and come to a stop, or just rev it in neutral, when the rpms come back down they go do around 200 rpms and slowly climb back to idle speed. it definately acts like it wants to die but somehow comes back to idle.
originally i did the stupid thing and messed with the trottle stop screw to try to get it to idle better, also adjusted the throttle cable a bit too... obviously that didnt work, so i tried to put it back to what i thought was factory spec (still looking for a write up on that one).
either way it was idling way rougher until i found out the fpr vacuum line was leaking. after i fixed that, im in the position i am right now..
ive been searching and most things point to the TPS or the IACV, but i ran into a problem when going to look at my tps, because from what i understand i am supposed to have only a three pin connector and i have a six pin... i was under the impression that was only for automatics (i have a 5 speed)
anyways the timing is dead on, and i was just wondering if anyone knows exactly what i should do... ive posted this same thing on a couple other forums, but no answers.... so hopefully someone here can help.
i need to have this thing right here soon, its about to be my only ride....

set up is as such:
s13 blacktop stock, other than FMIC and Walbro 255.
im running the stock FPR, so im hoping that isnt causing problems too

BTW acceleration is just fine... all my problems are in the idle area..

thanks guys

10-66kruk
04-20-2009, 01:28 PM
Your not alone I am having this exact same issue and can't determine re the issue lies. I'm wondering if it is running to rich or too lean and that is contributing. Just gets annoying havin to keep the idle up at a light sittig there revving the car. Please if some1 can chime in ad help out 2 members here that would be highly appreciated.

SleepR 240sx
04-20-2009, 02:26 PM
Had the same problem. MAF. My pigtail did not have the clip that keeps it tightened into the MAF. Ziptied it. Problem solved.

robss14
04-20-2009, 10:19 PM
I'm glad I'm not alone!! About the maf, mine is plugged in correctly, I also teed my boost guage off my fpr and it reads 12lbs. Dunno if that helps diagnose the issue.
Thanks again

SleepR 240sx
04-29-2009, 03:42 PM
Do you mean that your vacuum is at 12? If so that means you have a pretty big vacuum leak, sr's should be at 20.

kevmeistah21
04-29-2009, 07:38 PM
I have the same problem and my vacuum reads around 15 but it only drops and bogs when my engine is cold and runs perfectly fine after driving like 3 miles

SleepR 240sx
04-30-2009, 08:39 AM
You have a vaccuum leak if your vacuum is at 15. Search through all your hoses and lines. Intercooler piping, etc. There's a leak somewhere.

type-s09
04-30-2009, 09:58 AM
vacuum leak for sure. check piping, intake manifold gasket, hoses..etc.

japslapsilvia
04-30-2009, 10:04 AM
a lot of irratic idle issues can also be attributed to a faulty coolant temp sensor (2pin) they are usually cheap and easy to replace.

V8slayr
04-30-2009, 08:21 PM
If he's on stock cams it should be at 20. If i'm not mistaken bigger cams will change that. My HKS 264s are at 12-13 and i've seen other videos of the same/similar cams creating similar vacuum.

Oddly enough, I'm having the exact same problem. I running an enthalpy ECU, Walbro, stock FPR, and my car idles LEAN 20-23:1. So far i haven't found what is causing my issue either.

robss14
05-01-2009, 07:53 PM
I ha ent checked back on my post for a bit, but since, I have done a leak down with a compressor on the intercooler piping and all, and I fixed the couple leaks that were there, teed off the fpr it still sits at 12lbs of vaccuum. I dunno where or if there is still a leak somewhere mesterious or not...
Also, I sprayed a crap load of carb cleaner in the iacv through the idle adjustment screw per a writ up I read, and it still didn't work. At idle, however, when I blip the throttle it bounces to 20lbs of vaccuum and then back to 12. I have the thermostat out at the moment, cuz my stock one was frozen, would that have anything to do with it??? Also when my boost guage is teed off the nipple on my intercooler hot pipe, it reads zero vaccuum. Is that right??? I appreciate all the help you guys, but I'm still searching. Let me know what you guys think.