PDA

View Full Version : are you having startup issues? car wont start? try this!

twinturbojon
04-15-2009, 06:05 PM
So I bought a S14 about 2 months ago, and it was having some startup issues where the car only starts when it wants to, the previous owner told me it was because of the "kill switch' but i had a feeling he was BSing. Fortunately, I had a similar problem with my old 3000gt. Anyway I read up on zilvia that its usually the starter or ignition switch that's bad when theres a click-no start issue. So I took the pieces covering the ignition switch off, and I tried somethign that worked every time on my 3000gt, and VOILA! it worked.
All I did was:
-look for the group of wires on the left side of the steering column attatched to the ignition switch
-apply pressure in the middle of group of wires closest to the ignition switch, (with your index finger or thumb), pressing the wires towards the ignition swtich, and hold it there while you turn the key
-turn the key, and it should work every time
If it doesnt work at first, you'll have to press in a few different spots, but it should start right up.

I figured it had something to do with the igntion switch because this is the exact same problem I had with my 3000gt. I don't think its actually the ignition switch thats the culprit, but probably corroded or worn out connections/wires on the ignition switch.

This is a temporary but life saving trick for those of you experiencing this very issue. (I used this trick on my 3000gt for about 6 months up until I sold the car.) I'm going to attempt to clean/and or re-solder the wiring connections at the ignition switch and see if it solves the problem for good. otherwise I'll just go pickup a new ignition switch at autozone.

Anyways hope this works for you guys, and I hope I helped