PDA

View Full Version : Does This Sound Like a Sticky Lifter Issue?

GripSpec
04-15-2009, 10:15 AM
My single cam has a horrible knock when I start it up. I can let it sit for 15 minutes, does not change. If I drive it for just a few minutes it completely goes away, then if I let the car sit for about 10 minutes aferwards it comes back. Does this sound like a lifter issue to you guys? My thought is that driving the car raises oil pressure and pumps up that lifter, then when I stop driving and oil pressure drops it comes back.

Also, when a lifter is bad, does it cause the valve that it is controling to come in contact with the piston (seeing as though the mechanics that are pushing it down are out of wack). Or is that sound just because the lifter is not filling with oil?

rc1honda
04-15-2009, 10:21 AM
Not sure on the SOHC KA but the lofter tap is from the cam lobe hitting the rocker and the rocker hitting the lifter. They are hydrualic and if it's not getting enough oil pressure it will click when it gets depressed form lack of oil. Make sure ur oil pump is good. If worse comes to worse you can bleed the lifters. Because your soind goes away after you drive i think your oil pump is going bad. But then again it might not even be lifter tap. Only was to tell is to pull the valve cover and investigate, it's not hard. Look at the timing chain cover, the rokers and the valve springs. Crank it a few times to narrow the noise down to a spot and if you can't see whats causing it, then it's porbably the lifters. Take them out and bleed them,

GripSpec
04-15-2009, 11:00 AM
Yea I definitely understand the prinicple behind lifter issues, I was just wondering if this issue does indeed sounds like a lifter problem.