PDA

View Full Version : Need some advice!

MakoBlunt
04-14-2009, 07:30 PM
I'm about to buy my first 240sx,
it's a 1997 240sx "Kouki"
It's been in an accident and has the driver side door basically done and the back of the fender has a deep scratch with rust in it. The back bumper has come a bit undone, and the front bumper has a bit of damage.
Aside from that the car is looking mean, and nice. I can deal with the body work, it won't be difficult.

Heres my real question though,
the guy is selling the car to me for 3,500.
But, when he came over to my house I noticed he had a oil leak..
A BIG one. I'm talking about almost 8-9 big drops in about 4-5 minutes.

Will a engine rebuild fix this problem? Is it worth it?
I was thinking while I rebuild the engine I put high performance parts and forge the engine while I'm at it for a good base to put turbo in the car eventually(In the next month).

So I need estimates, suggestions, what do I do?
Is the price still a killer deal? I drove the car and it rides amazingly, shifts real nice.

Thanks so much to the community ahead of time,
I hope I get the answers I'm looking for.

Mako

Nezahualcoyotl
04-14-2009, 07:41 PM
you got pics?

MakoBlunt
04-14-2009, 08:03 PM
you got pics?
No I don't, It's basically a 1997 240sx with a messed up driver side lol. Easy fix.
but I assure you that aside from the dents in the door and the oil leak, the car looks clean as hell. Even the engine bay looked clean, the oil leak was not noticeable on the top or sides of the engine, I had my friend who's a mechanic inspect it.

But from what you've heard what do you think I should do?

gijoe69
04-14-2009, 08:29 PM
is it an automatic or stickshift? and whats the mileage if it is leaking oil could be, Front Main Seal, Rear Main Seal, Valve Cover Gasket, P/S Leaking ?

MakoBlunt
04-14-2009, 08:34 PM
It's automatic, 109k miles.
I plan on switching it to manual in the next month or two.

hegamiz
04-14-2009, 08:37 PM
the leak is most likely one of the main seal as with most KA's.
but it you're up to do the work then sounds like a really nice buy.

LA_phantom_240
04-14-2009, 08:38 PM
Not worth it IMHO. Bodywork is a bitch and a half.

MakoBlunt
04-15-2009, 01:51 PM
Not worth it IMHO. Bodywork is a bitch and a half.
Body work is easy :S haha.
I already know a place where I can get a new door shell, fenders,
and bumpers. It's going to cost under $500 for all of it.

But wouldn't rebuilding the engine with performance internals be necessary if my goal is to get the car running 12s-14s? I heard on a few forums that around 8-13 psi you run big risks running turbo with stock internals. Any idea how much it would cost too?

LA_phantom_240
04-15-2009, 04:43 PM
8-13psi is absolutely fine. Around 350whp, you start to run into longevity issues on the internals from what I hear. Highest whp KA on stock internals (that I know of) was 576whp. Of course, it probably didn't last long, but its been done.