PDA

View Full Version : Pads & Rotors......

96SEChick
03-20-2003, 08:59 PM
I ordered my EBC Greenstuffs tonight and I should have them early next week. Chris and I have both done front brakes before, but not on my S14. Are there any tricks to getting the front calipers off after undoing the 4? bolts? I just rotate the caliper away from the rotor after unscrewing the bolts, right?

Now, for the rotors--what do I need to do to take my rotors off? I need to take them and have them turned (please be confident for me that they're turnable--the car's had the brakes replaced before and I hope there's enough left that I don't have to buy new rotors yet :crossesfingers: ). After I have the caliper freed, what do I need to do to remove the rotor?

Thanks in advance! :D

Steeles
03-20-2003, 09:02 PM
kick it hehe no seriously the caliper slides right off and as for the rotor tap the center lightly with a rubber mallet if its stuck and just pull. should slide right off the lugs

96SEChick
03-21-2003, 08:02 PM
Originally posted by Steeles
kick it hehe no seriously the caliper slides right off and as for the rotor tap the center lightly with a rubber mallet if its stuck and just pull. should slide right off the lugs

Cool. So there's no clips or anything? Once I take the caliper off, the rotor should pull off (after tapping w/ a rubber mallet if stuck)? That sounds too easy!! Thank you soooo much!

syco3d
03-21-2003, 08:11 PM
That's the nice thing about brake maitanence...it IS easy. :D

silvia240
03-21-2003, 08:42 PM
actually you cant just tap off the rotor to remove it. ive change my brakes twice and had them turned twice and each time, the rotor would not come off by yankin or tappin then yankin. So what you have to do is, if you look at the rotor (the part the lug nuts conect the rotor too) there should be some holes (i believe there are only 2). You need to buy bolts that you screw in (you need 2 bolts and it cost me 2.50 at kregen) and you screw them in together to get the rotor off. Its really easy. Ill try to find the bolt size tomorrow and ill try to repost.

AKADriver
03-21-2003, 08:56 PM
I've never had to use those holes. Heck, my rotors come loose when I'm just changing pads.

Steeles
03-21-2003, 08:57 PM
Originally posted by silvia240
actually you cant just tap off the rotor to remove it. ive change my brakes twice and had them turned twice and each time, the rotor would not come off by yankin or tappin then yankin. So what you have to do is, if you look at the rotor (the part the lug nuts conect the rotor too) there should be some holes (i believe there are only 2). You need to buy bolts that you screw in (you need 2 bolts and it cost me 2.50 at kregen) and you screw them in together to get the rotor off. Its really easy. Ill try to find the bolt size tomorrow and ill try to repost.

yeah you can do that if it dosnet let go from the tapping but all four of mine did and when i took the right front caliper off two weeks ago to swp hubs the rotor about fell off when we unhooked the caliper. so its all in how attached the rotors become :D either way its easy

silvia240
03-21-2003, 09:56 PM
dang, why do i always get the hard ones.... you guys had it easy then. It was a hassle tryin to figure out the bolt thing and i had to go buy one so that was a pain....

96SEChick
03-21-2003, 10:26 PM
Originally posted by silvia240
dang, why do i always get the hard ones.... you guys had it easy then. It was a hassle tryin to figure out the bolt thing and i had to go buy one so that was a pain....

Thanks for the tip, though. I had totally forgotten about those little screw-holes! On my Olds, the car had 105k on it before we ever had to change the brakes (and they weren't even squeeling or anything yet :eek: ) and we didn't have to do that. But on this car, everything's been difficult, so I really appreciate the reminder on that.

Thanks guys! You're great! :D