PDA

View Full Version : Overheating at high rpm

sil8tyhavoc
04-03-2009, 01:26 PM
basically the car overheats at high rpm. practically new engine. only has 3k on it. its nots leaking, all hoses are clamped and theres no water getting inside the oil. new OEM thermo and new radiator. it drives fine when driven normal. but when i gun it, it overheats. could this be the water pump? im pretty sure i bleed the car right so theres no air in the system. any ideas?

DALAZ_68
04-03-2009, 01:39 PM
sounds like ur leaning out...

sil8tyhavoc
04-03-2009, 01:48 PM
how so ? plugs ? i checked them. theyre at .039

BTW EVERYONE ITS A SOHC KA

DALAZ_68
04-03-2009, 02:26 PM
u check fuel pressure?

sil8tyhavoc
04-03-2009, 02:54 PM
fuel pressure seems to be ok.........i also pulled off the pump and checked it the strainer is clogged and put a new fuel filter......

DALAZ_68
04-03-2009, 02:57 PM
and timing...

*ka24e*
04-03-2009, 02:59 PM
It could be air in the system like you said, or possibly a bad pump, but have you check your fan? Your fan clutch could be acting up and not locking the fan spinning it faster at higher rpm's.

sil8tyhavoc
04-03-2009, 03:01 PM
checked the timing too...its right on mark......im seriously running out of ideas.....

sil8tyhavoc
04-03-2009, 03:04 PM
the fan locks up....its pretty much new.....

*ka24e*
04-03-2009, 03:12 PM
Man I don't know. If your fan works, timing is right, no air in the system, good pump and no leaks the only other thing I can think of is a bad thermostat.
I know you said it was new, but I've had a couple thermostats that just never opened or never closed.
Did you bleed the system with the heater valve open?

fuco8210
04-03-2009, 03:19 PM
I say get an aftermarket temp gauge and study it, if you can drive all day normally without it overheating then i would say its bled fine, etc .. If its a stock rad i'd say upgrade.. the koyo is a beast

sil8tyhavoc
04-03-2009, 03:20 PM
yes....i bleed the entire system with the heater on full blast.....

DJ_Sunrise
04-03-2009, 03:33 PM
Where is it saying you are overheating? How do you know?

If you mean the little temp gauge on the cluster.. that's probably your problem. Not only the gauge.. but the sensor for the cluster gauge. I've seen my coolant temp gauge swimming, and I mean SWIMMINNNG around.. Yet on my Power FC, there was only a several degree difference in coolant temp. I've replaced 2 with aftermarket sensors.. my old sensor and the two other sensors all rested in different spots of the gauge. Totally unreliable.

If everything is bled right.. my bet is on the sensor and gauge. Replace the sensor, with a genuine OEM NISSAN part... Not aftermarket. They give wierd ass readings... The needle will never be centered where it should be. Hook up an external sensor to verify coolant temp. Most importantly.. buy a nice aftermarket temp sensor. Don't count on the gauge cluster's "gauge" to do anything but be wrong.

-Bart

drkidd22
04-03-2009, 06:11 PM
I had similar problem with my KA when I had my 2000 altima. My temp gauge would intermittently rocket up and then shoot right down to normal temp. I though it was electrical problem since my car had been on a fender bender, but turns out that one day traveling to school I decided to gun it and when I downshifted to 3rd BOOOOM! head gasket GONE...DONE...DESTORYED...exploded and that was end of story. Took my head apart and resurface it, replaced head gasket and timing chain and I was like, let me change the thermo while I'm at it, the thing was freaking F***UP took the thermostat out and put a new one in and my misterious gauge issues went away foreever...well untill I totaled my car a year after.

Have you been keeping an eye on the coolant level in the system? if you have to add coolant frecuently then you might have a small leak as well. Good luck

sil8tyhavoc
04-03-2009, 06:34 PM
i really dont think its the thermo....ive had 3 and two of them were OEM......same thing.....

steve shadows
04-04-2009, 01:28 AM
Make sure your head gasket was installed properly

Addicted2Kouki
04-04-2009, 02:38 AM
make sure you bled it properly.
Ive seen a lot of ppl say they bled it properly and there was still air in their systems.

if its not that then either its your head gasket or water pump

DJ_Sunrise
04-04-2009, 12:36 PM
i really dont think its the thermo....ive had 3 and two of them were OEM......same thing.....

Get a check up from the neck up and read my post. How do you know your car is over heating. What is indicating to your prefrontal cortex that the engine is overheating?

-Bart