PDA

View Full Version : RB engines in 240s

SR240SXT
03-16-2003, 02:03 PM
For some reason, the RB engines are cheaper than the SRs, a RB25DET(250 HP) front clip is only 1800 from Venus Auto, and the RB20DET(210 HP) is only 1000 + shipping. Has anyone on here installed a skyline engine into a 240? Theoretically it would make more sense because they're cheaper and produce more power, but it doesn't seem too popular. Just wanted to see if anyone has done it, if there is a FAQ on it, or any other information. I've seen that site where a guy has pics of a RB26DET sitting in the engine bay of his S13 but that doesn't provide much information as far as actual functionality. Let me know, thanks guys.

Jeff240sx
03-16-2003, 02:13 PM
RB26DETT owns 240sx cars, and costs $10k+ to "drop in".
RB20DET engines are 9-13 years old. Since Japan's cars have a life expectancy of 3 years or so, they've been sitting around forever. Good engines, but I'd suggest a rebuild before making any real power.
Talk to Grumpy at McKinney Motorsports (google search for the site) about RB motors, cuz he has a RB25(?)DET stuffed in his s13. Also.. they specialize in the swaps.
-Jeff

azn_romeox
03-16-2003, 06:45 PM
I got a guy thats going to do my swap. I figured to complete swap for $4700... Thats a rb25det. It should run 12.5 on stock trim :)

accelerated concepts
03-19-2003, 02:56 AM
I have a rb25det in my s13 coupe. It sounds so mean. I just took it to the paint and body shop to get it ready for a show we have coming up soon.

Steeles
03-19-2003, 07:04 AM
Originally posted by accelerated concepts
I have a rb25det in my s13 coupe. It sounds so mean. I just took it to the paint and body shop to get it ready for a show we have coming up soon.

awsome you got it running man! (dibble tells me about it lol) you ARE bringin it to atl for convention right? :) btw did ya'll ever get jeremy's hood?

d240t2
03-19-2003, 07:06 AM
We have a good FAQ on RB engines...and we also sell an install kit as well as offer the wiring service (like what we and heavythrottle do for SR swaps). www.unstable-hybrids.com for info.

Dennis

fast-datsun
03-19-2003, 07:12 PM
check out our car in the January 03 Modified Mag RB25DET powered 240Sx call us or E-mail www.mckinneymotorsports.com
Mack @ Mckinney

Ben its running now? Sound different "a"

SR240DET
03-19-2003, 07:21 PM
ben is my hero! :D :D :eek:

this is mark by the way... haha...

hey man.. i dont think anybody in our area knows about your swap.. that post on these boards.....

d240t2
03-20-2003, 07:46 AM
Come on...you are in Florida? The first RB powered S-chassis car in the states (as far as I know) is owned by Heather in FL, done by us at unStable Hybrids. Besides, you are only one state away from the guys who did the RB swap first.

Dennis
unStable Hybrids

accelerated concepts
03-20-2003, 05:48 PM
Mack, I haven't forgotten about you. Got the gasket kit too. Thanks so much!

Dennis, I know about Heather's RB20DET that you installed. I am the first RB25DET powered S13 in Florida that I know of. I am not going to get into an arguement over who did what and when and how. I really don't care who was the FIRST RB powered S13. All I care about is our shop car getting up and running and it is. I don't know if you are trying to prove a point by saying that she was the first and installed by you or what. But you don't need to glorify yourself. Just my opinion. We all know that you can install RB20DET's in a S13. Good luck with your rb25det install when you do it.

For everyone else, I used the R33 Crossmember, R33 tranny crossmember, and custom tranny mount. While my oil pan is touching the sway bar slightly, it did not cause any problems with the motor going in. I have a custom downpipe that I designed and it will fit any S13 with the rb25det swap and bolt up to the cat converter.

SR240DET
03-20-2003, 06:27 PM
weakness on your part unstable.... you guys just try to sound like your the sheeit being the first with the rb swap.... oh yeah... real companys let there work speak for them selfs... they dont need to post on forums..... :rolleyes:

DamnedButDetermined
03-20-2003, 06:57 PM
Originally posted by SR240DET
weakness on your part unstable.... you guys just try to sound like your the sheeit being the first with the rb swap.... oh yeah... real companys let there work speak for them selfs... they dont need to post on forums..... :rolleyes:

That was a swift kick in the balls!:confused:

j240sxna
03-20-2003, 07:12 PM
Heya Steeles!

I am still waiting on a hood! but that might be ok since I will be using the stock intake manifold for the rb25det. I heard it might clear with a silvia hood because the hump. In any case I got plenty of space under that mangled hood:) Helps cool the motor too! Just you wait it will be a sleeper and I will have to owe it all to the hood:)

Hopefully I will be ordering the rb this week. Depends on the stock of one of our importers. I will try to make it to the convention this year. Ben should have the car out of the body shop by then:)

Oh on another note we should be planning a fender rolling party soon! Me Russ and a few others need to do it. Plus all we have to do is split the shipping from tire rack:) Dennis I know you want to roll your fenders :)

Dennis don't get upset:) WE all know UH did the first rb swap in FL and opened us all up to the smoothness of that straight six. Rb25det should be alot more fun though:)

Affordable turbo upgrades for the rb25det coming soon:)

Jeremy

www.acceleratedconcepts.com
(under construction)

Steeles
03-20-2003, 09:44 PM
J wahts up man good to hear from ya when you doing this fender rolling business? I may jet down, i keep going back and forth on what i wanna do with the suspension. dont need the fenders rolled yet but ya never know ;) can we paint some racing stripes on that mangled hood give it that true ghetto fabulous ricer look to hide behind?

d240t2
03-20-2003, 10:09 PM
Geez...I wasn't upset...I don't know why you were. Relax.

I was responding to the post DIRECTLY ABOVE MINE...where a guy in Florida claims that nobody does RB swaps in the area. I was just mentioning that we did one 2 years ago. If that was so difficult to understand, sorry. I thought it was pretty clear (response from one post to another).

Thanks for attacking me and making me sound like I am attacking you. Good job.

Notice how much I post on forums now (geez, I wonder why). I have cut back my forum posting...because I'd rather do the important stuff, like answer emails. We have been letting our work speak for itself for years now...with lots of custom swaps. I won't say anymore...because if I do, I'll get attacked for bragging.

Dennis

accelerated concepts
03-20-2003, 10:12 PM
I am cool.

SR240DET
03-20-2003, 11:09 PM
my bad also....

d240t2
03-21-2003, 05:14 AM
Sorry for the misunderstanding. No hard feelings...except for Jeremy. I hate that kid (j/k mang).

Dennis