PDA

View Full Version : KA24DE overheating

fiskulness
03-24-2009, 08:24 AM
I am having an issue with my 93 ka24de overheating while just in idle. I swapped the engine from sohc to dohc and redid the dash wiring. The radiator was replaced because the old one was in horrible condition and the thermostat has also been changed. If I let the car sit and idle it will warm up and idle just fine for a couple of minutes then the needle gradually rises. When I drained the coolant; I noticed that orange tinted coolant drained a little.

I have read about people bleeding the cooling system with a bleeder valve? where is it located (if there is one) and could it be a water pump issue?

lflkajfj12123
03-24-2009, 09:24 AM
did you put the heater on full blast and jack the front up

fiskulness
03-26-2009, 08:41 PM
I have not, but I did bleed the system the other day and still over heats pretty quickly. I will try putting the car on some ramps and let it run with the heat turned up.

boske
03-26-2009, 09:44 PM
Is your fan kicking on when it gets hot? Thats pretty important.

WaNa-DrIft
03-26-2009, 10:00 PM
I had the same issue...do you have a fan shroud? the fan alone wont help much but when you first put the coolant in...you need to let the system burp so by jacking the front up and running the heat on hi with floor vents that it will help a little but either then that...if its always warm then id just run with out the thermostat..it will always run at around 160 degrees but that is just normal operating temp.

lightsource
03-27-2009, 02:05 AM
Yeah, rolling without the shroud can def. cause some overheating issues.

What fan are you using? Stock Clutch Fan or Electric??

gprb25
03-27-2009, 08:38 AM
The bleeder valve is a screw on the top water neck.

You just need to jack the car up or park on an incline, turn the heater on 4, let the car idle to normal operating temp, then watch the radiator fill hole to see if it "burps". You could also squeeze the upper radiator hose to get some of the bubbles out. When your done, fill the radiator back to the top and put the cap on.

Now, I had the same re-occurring issue with my car a while back. I bled and bled the coolant system just as described above and still had overheating issues. It would drive just fine, but when i came to a stop the temp would creep up almost to the top line. Turns out it was my water pump. Replaced the water pump and haven't had any more issues.

Good luck