PDA

View Full Version : ca18 smoke

emu103
03-22-2009, 08:19 PM
just bought a ca swapped 240.
it smokes upon cranking, and now it smokes period for a while.
idle is also wierd sometimes it is at 1500 to 2k
sometimes its normal at 800-1000
engine vibration is horrible (maybe due to mounts, pretty sure they are stock. havent inspected it)

i did a compression test and the lowest reading i got was 145. 3 were 150!

perfect

so the smoke obviously has to be turbo related.
i cranked it today because its sat for a little while (havent had time to get it road ready) and smoke is coming from under the hood, look under and its all coming from an indistinguishable place around the manifold, its pretty bad, the engine is dirty and covered in oil, but i dont think its just burn off from the outside.

to be honest it looks to be coming from the manifold where it meets the engine. maybe a gasket is bad? but that wouldnt explain why its just now doing it.
or why its putting smoke out exhaust. im sure most will agree its got to be the turbo though.
any help to figure out my smoke issue would be great.

thanks
Paul

Riken
03-23-2009, 08:23 AM
bad turbo seals, time for upgrade

emu103
03-23-2009, 09:21 AM
anybody else?
this is a problem. i have an event soon...:(
i would just like to learn from this, not just slap a new turbo on.

DALAZ_68
03-23-2009, 09:28 AM
lesson learned: test the motor b4 purchasing, why would you buy this? honeslty?why not just buy something that reliable or atleast semi reliable...

id have to agree sounds like the the turbo seals are done, ur gonna rip off the manifold so might aswell replace the studs and gasket there...

yokotavia
03-23-2009, 10:22 AM
go to the event with the blown turbine.

itll do it, just turn down the boost to about .6 bar or so.

just did the same this past weekend with a friends ca and stock turbine haha

DALAZ_68
03-23-2009, 10:33 AM
go to the event with the blown turbine.

itll do it, just turn down the boost to about .6 bar or so.

just did the same this past weekend with a friends ca and stock turbine haha
and risk something else going wrong?

emu103
03-23-2009, 08:33 PM
lesson learned: test the motor b4 purchasing, why would you buy this? honeslty?why not just buy something that reliable or atleast semi reliable...

id have to agree sounds like the the turbo seals are done, ur gonna rip off the manifold so might aswell replace the studs and gasket there...

i did test the car, i refused to buy without a clean compression test as well, i do this to all my cars.
i had it lifted and inspected it for rust. there isnt a sign anywhere important.
car did not smoke when purchased, ive driven it only about 40 miles but thats only because i dont have tags yet, the guy drove the car to me because i wanted to see if he thought it was reliable enough (he was about 45 min away)

started smoking, smoke got worse. engine is great, just a turbo problem or so i think, and whats that $125 and a little time?
i think the timing belt was already done to it as well because of marks on the cam angle sensor, but who knows, ill be checking it out soon.

those damn hard lines and the whole clocking thing doesnt appeal to me though :(

o and my honda is my reliable ride, i would drive it to the end of the earth and i dont have to worry about a thing.

this is just something for me to do really, then i can play with it also.