PDA

View Full Version : Got my Cross-drilled and slotted brakes today.

xLSTONEx
03-13-2003, 09:05 PM
Today I recieved my Cross-drilled and slotted brakes from www.raceconcepts.net . They are really nice looking brakes, i'll take pictures of them off the car, but you have to let me know by tonight, because they go on tommorow morning.

They where like $320 for front and back including Axxis metal-master pads. They are vented in the front as well. Also, the rear brakes are made by Bradi(which are made in Italy), which someone has told me they are the sister company to Brembo. Does anybody know if they are a good company? The front brakes are made in America buy I guess raceconcepts, since they do custom brake set ups for any car.

Anyways I will let you know what they are like once I break them in some more.

Tell me if you wany pics, I will deffianatly post some after I get them on the car tommorow.

four
03-13-2003, 09:50 PM
I'm getting my brakes tomorrow from iRotors.com

They're Brembo Blanks drilled and slotted.

You probly got the same deal.

I paid $205 for mine, but no pads. I think raceconcepts is good too, its just iRotors was much more cheaper, and i've heard a lot of good about them.

Keep us posted. Ill be putting some pix of my car up with them too over the weekend if that's okay with you.

MorganS13
03-13-2003, 10:02 PM
heres a crappy shot of mine... they definitely look nice in person though, now i just need some aftermarket rims to show them off :o
http://members.aol.com/morgan1774/images/crossslott%20brakes.jpg

four
03-13-2003, 10:07 PM
Originally posted by MorganS13
heres a crappy shot of mine... they definitely look nice in person though, now i just need some aftermarket rims to show them off :o
http://members.aol.com/morgan1774/images/crossslott%20brakes.jpg

where'd u get em?

MorganS13
03-13-2003, 10:11 PM
i got mine on ebay almost 2 years ago because at the time i couldn't find any actual stores selling them. i had to replace my rear calipers that were seized so i just got new rotors all around at the same time. they are Brembo blanks that were cross-drilled and slotted.

four
03-14-2003, 07:15 AM
from who

xLSTONEx
03-14-2003, 08:16 AM
you can post your pictures as well, it doesn't bother me at all. Pics will be up tonight.

Maeda
03-14-2003, 02:28 PM
arn't they just divine? well after you break them in youll be able to feel the ultimate put my face into my windshield stopping power =D

granted you have the 4 pots up front ^_^

Dousan_PG
03-14-2003, 02:32 PM
raceconcepts just drills and slots them in their shop

BREMBO does not sell drilled or slotted (or both) rotors. they only sell blanks. (except with brake kits that they sell-then they are drilled/slotted by brembo). all others are just blanks

raceconcepts is reputable adn extremely well known to ANY compnay selling brakes. they drop ship a ton of stuff i hear.

very nice guys (2 of them) who work there. they drilled my 5 lug z32 rotors to 4 lug for dirt cheap :) i just brought it down and 5 mins later..done!

Maeda
03-14-2003, 02:48 PM
did you see the nice ducati bike dousan? o.O

Dousan_PG
03-14-2003, 02:54 PM
yeees
he was trying to sell it to me last time but i dont have 9K to spend at the moment hahaha

same one? yellow one? or did he sell it. he said he was going to get a more powerful one.

Maeda
03-14-2003, 06:59 PM
same yellow one! funny when i was there he tried to sell his BMW... like i could afford it? lol

NiteKids
03-14-2003, 07:13 PM
Your real brake upgrade comes from caliper upgrade

Dousan_PG
03-14-2003, 07:43 PM
Originally posted by NiteKids
Your real brake upgrade comes from caliper upgrade

NO IT DOESNT!!
damn nitekids you dont know **** man!

you get HUGE upgrades by upgrading your rotors and pads!!

NiteKids
03-14-2003, 10:17 PM
of course with the upgraded caliper (Z for instance) your most likey not going to be using stock brake pads either. Sometimes stock rotor though but some people use cross drilled.

Dousan_PG
03-15-2003, 03:09 AM
Originally posted by NiteKids
of course with the upgraded caliper (Z for instance) your most likey not going to be using stock brake pads either. Sometimes stock rotor though but some people use cross drilled.

?? dude dont get dumb on me henry!

i use stock pads on my z brakes and rotors and it brakes grat for the car.

cross drill does help, a lot.
so do upgrade pads

its all good. dont diss it.

silvia240
03-15-2003, 12:50 PM
how long will these rotors last? I know you cant resurface the rotors. I dont want to buy anything that lasts for like a year and costs an arm and a leg.

91CRXsiR
03-15-2003, 01:47 PM
i thought that when you upgrade your rotors its better to use stock pads because the aftermarket pads will eat up the rotor. this true?

also i heard that cross drilled doesnt really do anything? and that it might even be bad?.

xLSTONEx
03-16-2003, 05:01 PM
I'll have pictures by the end of the night and a full review.

adey
03-16-2003, 06:36 PM
Originally posted by 91CRXsiR
i thought that when you upgrade your rotors its better to use stock pads because the aftermarket pads will eat up the rotor. this true?

also i heard that cross drilled doesnt really do anything? and that it might even be bad?. It's (probably) never better to use stock pads; if you used stock pads on aftermarket rotors, you would only experience a minimal upgrade, due to the improved metallurgy and (hopefully) greater heat capacity/dissipation. The only benefit would be the better initial "bite" (thanks to the grooves) and the auto-cleaning nature of slotted rotors on the pads, keeping them.. uh... fresh?

If you're going to upgrade just the pads or just the rotors, do the pads, they're where the stopping power is REALLY improved.
Many after market pads will eat rotors faster than stock pads, but that's (partially) why they stop better/faster. It's all about tradeoffs; usually a more aggressive pad will eat rotors faster, while more street-oriented pads will make rotors last longer.

My feeling is this... it's a waste of money to get slotted or cross-drilled rotors, simply because todays pads no longer "gas" when the pads heat up, which means the holes and slots only make for less mass (which means less heat capacity) as well as a weaker overall structure, which can increase a rotors propensity to crack or warp.
On the other hand, there will be greater surface area, which would increase cooling... although it's arguable how practical/measurable this is. slotted/drilled rotors will also help channel water away from the surface in rain/wet driving, but I don't know how much of a difference there really is.

FWIW, I stick with OE spec (i.e. brembo blank) rotors for my car, no matter what pad. slotted/drilled rotors, to me, are only useful for the bling-bling show factor.

With that... you make the choice, bling bling or practicality?

xLSTONEx
03-16-2003, 09:54 PM
the reason you get cross-drilled or slotted breaks is for auto-xing or road course racing. They are impartical for the street and probably won't make a car stop any faster, but after you race for a while and are constantly pressing the breaks really hard, the slotted and drileld breaks come in handy. After racing for a while breaks do get really hot and that is why drilled and slotted breaks are good, so cool them down while auto-xing and road course racing so your breaking doesn't start to suck later in the race.